How to retrieve classification codes using keywords?

This space is made available to users of Open Patent Services (OPS) web-service and now also to users of EPO’s bulk data subscription products such as 14. EPO worldwide bibliographic database (DOCDB), 14.11 EPO worldwide legal status database (INPADOC), 14.12 EP full text data, 14.1 EP bibliographic data (EBD)and more.

Users can ask each other questions, exchange experiences and solutions, post ideas. The moderator will use this space to announce changes or other relevant information.

mpriestley

How to retrieve classification codes using keywords?

Post by mpriestley » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:27 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to get a list of relevant CPC subgroups based on a keyword. Here is the URL I have tried using so far: http://ops.epo.org/3.1/rest-services/classification/cpc/search?q=keyword

...this gives relevant high-level classification symbols, but I would like more detail in terms of the exact CPC subgroups that are relevant. For example, if I manually do a keyword search here: http://worldwide.espacenet.com/classification?locale=en_EP ...it is possible to view drop-down lists of the relevant subgroups.

Could you please advise me if it is possible to access the same level of detail via the open patent services?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

EPO / OPS Support

Re: How to retrieve classification codes using keywords?

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:50 pm

Dear user,

It is possible to get the same level of detail via OPS, only you might need to do more than one request.

Espacenet is an application designed for end users, thus with a features aiming at making the search experience smooth and informative. You can use OPS to provide similar features: you can read about the CPC classification service on the OPS user guide on page 117 and following.

The example you are quoting translates possibly in two queries: Kind regards

OPS support