HTTP Message "404 Not Found"

This space is made available to users of Open Patent Services (OPS) web-service and now also to users of EPO’s bulk data subscription products such as 14. EPO worldwide bibliographic database (DOCDB), 14.11 EPO worldwide legal status database (INPADOC), 14.12 EP full text data, 14.1 EP bibliographic data (EBD)and more.

Users can ask each other questions, exchange experiences and solutions, post ideas. The moderator will use this space to announce changes or other relevant information.

Mike_k43

HTTP Message "404 Not Found"

Post by Mike_k43 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:36 am

In OPS, if a query does not provide any results, the calling application receives the above HTTP message from the OPS server. The calling application (such as when written in Csharp) interprets this message as a WebException, necessitating a catch{} block which disrupts normal program flow. The fact that a query does not provide any result is however not a severe error necessitating the throwing of a WebException. Is there a way to configure OPS such that in the case of a resultless query, it will return "OK" with an empty worldpatentdata object, instead of returning "404 Not found"?

Mike_k43

EPO / OPS Support

Re: HTTP Message "404 Not Found"

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:12 pm

Dear user,

Thank you for your suggestion.

We will discuss it internally, analyse the feasibility and come back to you.

Kind regards,

OPS support

Mike_k43

Post by Mike_k43 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:37 pm

As an addendum, I noticed that there is another post of February 2017, entitled "Incorrect HttpResponse Status when no results found [v 3.2]". This user has exactly the same problem as I have. He furthermore observed that the return "404 Not found" is specific to OPS 3.2. I re-checked my problem as well in both 3.1 and 3.2, because I remembered that the problem only started as soon as I started to specify "3.2" in the links. I can confirm that 3.1 correctly returns in the case of a null result query "OK" and an empty worldpatentdata object, but 3.2 returns "404 not found" causing a WebException. Why was the behavior changed from 3.1 to 3.2? And what is the result of the considerations that OPS support announced in February 2017 to the user of the said earlier post?

mike_k43

EPO / OPS Support

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:18 am

Dear user,

Thank you for these additional details.

Kind regards,

OPS Support

EPO / OPS Support

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:52 am

Dear user,

This issue is going to be fixed with the next OPS maintenance release which is currently scheduled for early September.

We expect to be able to provide additional information about the new release on this Forum by the end of August.

Kind regards,

OPS Support