Informations for non European inventors

Here you can find announcements regarding the EPO's patent information products and services, events and activities.

Please also feel free to ask questions and share information on general patent information matters.

chuberthou

Informations for non European inventors

Post by chuberthou » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:25 am

Hello

I am a french PhD student in Economics. I am studying patent collaborations between countries and I need help to understand something about patent filing at the EPO.

The EPO allows to file European patents. But I would like to know whether or not non European inventors can file patents at the EPO. For example, I visited the database of the OECD on patent collaborations. I saw that inventors from North or South America have filed patents at the EPO (according to the database).

Does it mean that every inventor in the world is allowed to file a patent at the EPO? But I guess that the intellectual protection is only applied in Europe.

Yours Faithfully.

readwrite

Re: Informations for non European inventors

Post by readwrite » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:30 am

A European patent application may be filed by any natural or legal person, or any body equivalent to a legal person by virtue of the law governing it.

Praticly "every" inventor in the world is allowed to file and prosecute a patent application at the EPO