Is there any way to retrieve results for both A1 and B1?

Here you can post your opinions, ask questions and share information regarding the following services:
European Publication Server (EPO's official publication platform), EP Bulletin search and EP full-text search (Searching procedural data and the full text of EP A and B documents via the "Patent information services for experts" user interface).

URTour

Is there any way to retrieve results for both A1 and B1?

Post by URTour » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:03 pm

Hello

I have run into a slight problem with EPO. Sometimes, when I search for a specific, name or organisation, I’m only able to retrieve either the A1 or B1 entry. For instance when the person or institute that I search for is only mentioned in the A1 entry, then I obviously do not get the B1 entry for the same EP publication number if that same person/organisation is not mentioned there as well.

Is here any way around this? Basically, I want EPO to retrieve both the A1 and B1 entry for the same publication as long as one of them satisfy my search criteria.

EPO / EPAL Team

Re: Is there any way to retrieve results for both A1 and B1?

Post by EPO / EPAL Team » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:42 pm

Dear URTour,

Could you please indicate which EPO product you use? Is it "EP full-text search", "EP Bulletin search", Espacenet, ...?

Thanks in advance for your answer,

Best regards,

EPAL team

michaelplevan

Re: Is there any way to retrieve results for both A1 and B1?

Post by michaelplevan » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:05 am

Simply use the "published-data" GET request and you'll get all publications in the response.

Publications are stored in the "exchange-document" property.

If only one publication is available, it is declared as an object "{ }" and the "@kind" key usually has the value "A1" (first publication with search report) or "A2" (first publication without search report). If "exchange-document" is declared as an array, multiple publications such as "A1" and "B1" are included.

So if you parse your JSON/or XML etc for all configurations and array items of "exchange-document", you should be all set.

Example:

Code: Select all

{
    "ops:world-patent-data": {
        "@xmlns": {
            "ops": "http://ops.epo.org",
            "$": "http://www.epo.org/exchange",
            "xlink": "http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
        },
        "exchange-documents": {
            "exchange-document": [            <--- contains several published documents
                {
                    "@system": "ops.epo.org",
                    "@family-id": "50114546",
                    "@country": "EP",
                    "@doc-number": "2954739",
                    "@kind": "A2",                    <--- first published document
                    "bibliographic-data": {

(...)
                           (...)
                           (...)
                           (...)

},                                                         
{
                   "@system": "ops.epo.org",
                    "@family-id": "50114546",
                    "@country": "EP",
                    "@doc-number": "2954739",
                    "@kind": "B1",                   <--- second published document
                    "bibliographic-data": {

(...)
}]