Missing data on inventor Origin

Here you can post your opinions, ask questions and share experiences on the PATSTAT product line. Please always indicate the PATSTAT edition (e.g. 2015 Autumn Edition) and the database (e.g. PATSTAT Online, MySQL, MS SQL Server, ...) you are using.

Ucindami Mafeni

Missing data on inventor Origin

Post by Ucindami Mafeni » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:18 pm

Hello,

I wanted to use data on the country of origin for the inventors associated with certain patents and found that there were many missing values. I tried to find help from the forum regarding this, and the last time this problem was addressed was in 2014 and the solution was a missing data imputation algorithm implemented in the paper "worldwide count of priority patents" by Rassenfosse et al. I wanted to ask if any recent developments have been made on this issue since then, or if this is still the best way of handling the missing data problem.

Many Thanks

EPO / PATSTAT Support

Re: Missing data on inventor Origin

Post by EPO / PATSTAT Support » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:00 pm

Hello Ucindami,
indeed, replenishment via the priority filings or the family members is the best approach to add the missing country codes. The EPO will make available any country information it receives from the respective national patent offices. And we will not replenish any person country data on our own account. We leave this to the PATSTAT community.

Geert Boedt
PATSTAT Support Team
EPO - Vienna
patstat @ epo.org

FraPas

Re: Missing data on inventor Origin

Post by FraPas » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:53 am

Hi
In this paper I propose a simple query to increase country data accuracy and completeness in PATSTAT.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 9018300875
Hope it helps!