Missing person address in Patstat online?

Here you can post your opinions, ask questions and share experiences on the PATSTAT product line. Please always indicate the PATSTAT edition (e.g. 2015 Autumn Edition) and the database (e.g. PATSTAT Online, MySQL, MS SQL Server, ...) you are using.

pstek

Missing person address in Patstat online?

Post by pstek » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:34 pm

Dear Sir, Madam,

Thanks very much for making PATSTAT available online and giving a free 2 month trail. Its a great way to get to know the database.

Only one thing: I've noticed that the person_address column in the tls206_person table is blank for inventors in the online version.

Is this a bug or an intentional limitation imposed on free trail accounts? I was planning to use the personal addresses for a study on regional concentrations of innovation...

Thanks in advance for clarifying.

With kind regards,

Pieter Stek
Doctoral student
Delft University of Technology
Netherlands

mkracker

Re: Missing person address in Patstat online?

Post by mkracker » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:28 pm

Inventor address data is not available in PATSTAT Online.

To facilitate the analysis on a micro-regional level despite missing addresses, we are currently investigating the possibilities of extending PATSTAT data with NUTS3/TL3 and other related information.

In the meantime, you could have a look at the freely available REGPAT database from the OECD which can be easily combined with PATSTAT data. You can get more information about REGPAT at http://www.oecd.org/sti/ipr-statistics or STI.Microdatalab@oecd.org.

Best regards,
Martin
-------------------------------------------
Martin Kracker / EPO

pstek

Re: Missing person address in Patstat online?

Post by pstek » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:00 am

Dear Martin,

Many thanks for your kind reply and suggestions.

Since you mentioned that you are looking into adding NUTS3/TL3 related information, may I suggest that you add coordinates? That offers even more flexibility for geographic analysis.

With kind regards,

Pieter