number of inventions that applicants tend to patent per country of origin

Minotaur

number of inventions that applicants tend to patent per country of origin

Post by Minotaur » Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:44 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to do patent landscape and get number of patents per country of origin.

In 2013. (Earliest publication) I get 89 results total. Then I write CN in priority number to get Chinese patents which i get 83. Then I delete CN and start writing other countries and when i sum them i get number higher than 89. Why is that ?

I'm trying to analyze which country is most inventive in that part of technology. So I need number of inventions that applicants tend to patent per country actually!!

I hope I was clear.

Thank you in advance

Patent Information Marketing

Re: number of inventions that applicants tend to patent per country of origin

Post by Patent Information Marketing » Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:26 am

Dear user,

Due to the actual database structure, Espacenet is unfortunately not meant to perform accurate statistical analyses, in particular on publication level.

The result list only gives you a number of "families" which satisfy the search and filter criteria and not a number of "publications". Espacenet indeed groups the search results per family in the result list.

As far as the filters are concerned, they are meant essentially to help you make your searches more specific and to have an "idea" of the most frequent countries, languages, applicants, etc. in your search results.

When filtering on "publication level", the number of "publications", which you see next to filter items, are actually "records", which unfortunately do not always correspond to a single publication. I invite you to have a look at how the "publications" are counted in this help section.

We would suggest to use the PATSTAT online product instead. You have the possibility to try it for free during one-month.

Kind regards,

Andrée

Patent Knowledge Directorate
User services

Minotaur

Post by Minotaur » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:35 am

Thank You for Your reply.

But as I can see numbers of IPC and CPC classifications and applicants are correct and I can get some data, statistics out of it. Am I right?

Patent Information Marketing

Post by Patent Information Marketing » Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:36 am

Yes, this is correct. Just be aware that the numbers correspond to families and not single publications. Also the filter does not show all symbols present in your search results but the 100 most frequent symbols for the main groups and the 150 most frequent ones for the subgroups.

Kind regards,

Andrée

Patent Knowledge Directorate
User services