Online Filing V4

Here you can post your opinions and share information regarding any integration issues with third party systems

Dion

Online Filing V4

Post by Dion » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:35 pm

Hi,

I understand V4 might be available in Q2 of this year. If so I have a couple of questions please ?

Will I need to reinstall the server/clients or can I run an update through liveupdate ?

Also I have heard that V4 might be web interfaced, so instead of having to install client software clients can access the server through Internet Explorer ?

Thankyou

twesthues

Post by twesthues » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:55 am

Hi Dion,

we make sure that v4 can be installed as an update to version 3.20
(probably build 186 or higher) - not sure yet whether we also enable to update from version 3.0 SP1 - this appears less likely. Whether or not we will notify users over Live Update is still open - normally, only mandatory updates are distributed via Live Update.

V4 offers a Patent Management Interface and there is already some information and development kit available to start programming for this interface - see
http://www.epoline.org/olfdevelopmentkit.html

The browser based client is not part of V4 yet - the next coup for the EPO is to offer a browser based filing system where the same code base is used to offer an internet portal service for online form filling and filing, but with the service residing on the office side. The portation of this concept to the user side i.e. the server installation on the user side being accessible via browser clients could be a future scenario but definitely not before next year. There are enough changes that need careful consideration such as the introduction of further EPO and PCT procedures to the online filing method in order to complete the portfolio.

I hope, I could answer some of your questions.

Kind regards,
Thorsten
at your service for the EPO Online Services Team!

alexthurgood

Post by alexthurgood » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:41 pm

twesthues wrote: V4 offers a Patent Management Interface and there is already some information and development kit available to start programming for this interface - see
Hi Thorsten,

I'm downloading the SDK now to see what's in it :-)

twesthues wrote: The browser based client is not part of V4 yet - the next coup for the EPO is to offer a browser based filing system where the same code base is used to offer an internet portal service for online form filling and filing, but with the service residing on the office side. The portation of this concept to the user side i.e. the server installation on the user side being accessible via browser clients could be a future scenario but definitely not before next year. There are enough changes that need careful consideration such as the introduction of further EPO and PCT procedures to the online filing method in order to complete the portfolio.

Thorsten
I note that you still require the smartcard, for which the libraries are only available on Windows OS :-( I sincerely hope this severe limitation is going to be addressed during the development of the webclient.

When you state that your next coup is to offer a browser based portal, I assume that you mean that everything will be handled by a designated EPO server(s), and the interface elements also ? If that's the case, then I'm definitely interested, provided the smartcard issue can be resolved.

Alex Thurgood

squall

Re:

Post by squall » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:47 am

alexthurgood wrote:
twesthues wrote: V4 offers a Patent Management Interface and there is already some information and development kit available to start programming for this interface - see
Hi Thorsten,

I'm downloading the SDK now to see what's in it :-)

twesthues wrote: The browser based client is not part of V4 yet - the next coup for the EPO is to offer a browser based filing system where the same code base is used to offer an internet portal service for online form filling and filing, but with the service residing on the office side. The portation of this concept to the user side i.e. the server installation on the user side being accessible via browser clients could be a future scenario but definitely not before next year. There are enough changes that need careful consideration such as the introduction of further EPO and PCT procedures to the online filing method in order to complete the portfolio.

Thorsten
I note that you still require the smartcard, for which the libraries are only available on Windows OS :-( I sincerely hope this severe limitation is going to be addressed during the development of the webclient.

When you state that your next coup is to offer a browser based portal, I assume that you mean that everything will be handled by a designated EPO server(s), and the interface elements also ? If that's the case, then I'm definitely interested, provided the smartcard issue can be resolved.

Alex Thurgood
An SDK!! Wow cool!!

alexthurgood

Re:

Post by alexthurgood » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:36 am

Hi Thorsten,

I downloaded what I thought was the source for the SDK, but when you unzip it, you end up with an executable that doesn't appear to want to run anywhere else than on Windows ?? I thought maybe it was just a cabextract file (which I could've managed with a nice little Unix tool), but apparently not, perhaps it is some kind of MSWindows installer instead ?

Alex Thurgood

DPrakopchyk

Re: Online Filing V4

Post by DPrakopchyk » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:48 pm

Hi Alex,

I am a colleague of Thorsten's and will try to answer your question (at his request). The PMS integration kit currently consists of two part - the client part and the server part. The server part (as you have noticed) is Windows-only. The client part (the PMS simulation client) is written in Java. The sources to the Java client are also provided. You can run the Java client on any platform you like, even though I must say it was not tested much on anything other than Windows. The server part exposes a web service interface which can be connected to (and consumed) by the provided Java client or any other software, that PMS integrators are going to build. Please read the documentation for a more detailed insight into the interface and the protocol of the client-server exchange.

Good luck.

Dimitri.