Open Office / Who knows more about ?

NicosPanatos

Open Office / Who knows more about ?

Post by NicosPanatos » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:04 pm

Hello 2 everybody here,

I am currently searching for some detailed information about support for Open-Office. It seems to me, that the worldwide move towards opensource is not fully registered by the developerteams although the transfer and the dataformat are using standarized protocols and documentformats, just like opensource ....

Therefor it`ll be very interesting, if anybody got some real helping inputs.

I´m also looking for some info about using this software under terminalserver enviroments. Thinclientcomputing is a very high rated topic here and single-dedicated workplaces with highend/midrange-Fatclients are not very handy, thinking about some problems in organizing workflows within an office, which is splitt over some locations but acting as one single office.

Terminalserver enviroment also provides useful tools like remotecontrolling, which is often used as some sort of online-direct-user-help-service.

so, does anybody have some experiences with the software and all systems depending on it ?

Best regards,

Nicos Panatos

P.S.: Sorry for bad spellings or typos....

alexthurgood

Re: Open Office / Who knows more about ?

Post by alexthurgood » Tue May 30, 2006 9:34 am

NicosPanatos wrote: I am currently searching for some detailed information about support for Open-Office. It seems to me, that the worldwide move towards opensource is not fully registered by the developerteams although the transfer and the dataformat are using standarized protocols and documentformats, just like opensource ....
Can't answer wrt to the Terminal Server question, but AFAIK there is no support for the (Open Document Format) ODF ISO norm yet that is used by OpenOffice.org and other office suites.

Alex

alexthurgood

Post by alexthurgood » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:10 pm

Hi all,

Just an update to this thread. There are now plugins for MSOffice that enable read/write access to ODF documents.

Alex

alexthurgood

Re:

Post by alexthurgood » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:34 pm

alexthurgood wrote:Hi all,

Just an update to this thread. There are now plugins for MSOffice that enable read/write access to ODF documents.

Alex
Yet another update : Microsoft now offer an in-built ODF converter in MSOffice 2007 with fixpack SP2. Unfortunately, this filter only implements the 1.1 version of the ODF specification, and not the current 1.2 version that is produced with software like the current version of OpenOffice.org (although you can actually save to the 1.1 format from within OpenOffice.org as you can with IBM's Lotus Symphony).

Alex THURGOOD
European Patent Attorney

disladders

Post by disladders » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Robert
Don't bother with Microsoft Office 2010 . Open Office does just as well and there is more support on the
web then previously.

Regards

cherylwalsh

Post by cherylwalsh » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:27 pm

Thanks for this. I have been looking at whether to go down the Open Office route but support was an issue.

alexthurgood

Post by alexthurgood » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:51 pm

cherylwalsh wrote:Thanks for this. I have been looking at whether to go down the Open Office route but support was an issue.
Hi Cheryl,

Be aware though that PatXML only works with Word DOC (Office97/2000) formatted files or flat XML files as far as I know. There are no XSLT filters publicly/freely available yet for transforming ISO 26300 (ODF) text documents to PatXML.

Alex Thurgood