Opposition Data

Here you can find announcements regarding the EPO's patent information products and services, events and activities.

Please also feel free to ask questions and share information on general patent information matters.

Shubhendu

Opposition Data

Post by Shubhendu » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:12 am

Dear Support Team,

I want to extract a list of all oppositions filed by a specific opponent in a specific IPC class, the method I am using right now is as follows:
Step 1: Going to Advanced Search Option page, URL: https://register.epo.org/advancedSearch?lng=en
Step 2: Entering specific opponent name in the "Opponent" field
Step 3: Entering specific IPC in the "International Patent Classification (IPC)" field
Step 4: Pressing search button and extracting patent numbers of all the hits.

I need your help with following two questions:
Query 1. Is the aforementioned methodology correct, considering the objective of getting an exhaustive (fully comprehensive) list of all oppositions filed by a specific opponent in a specific IPC class? If not, please help me with the correct methodology.
Query 2. How comprehensive is the opposition data provided by European Patent Register, is it exhaustive (i.e., fully comprehensive with regards to all oppositions filed) or is it partially comprehensive?

In case, i have posted the query in the wrong forum, please accept my apologies and please guide me to the relevant forum.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Shubhendu

Patent Information Marketing

Re: Opposition Data

Post by Patent Information Marketing » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:47 pm

Dear Mr/Ms Schubhendu,

Thank you very much for your questions.

With regards the first question, your described search query in the Register Advance Search is correct in order to retrieve the list of documents of all oppositions filed by a specific opponent in a specific IPC class.

Concerning you second question, the European Patent Register is the legal source of European and Euro-PCT applications, and therefore the information about opposition procedures is exhaustive.

I hope this answers your questions. Should you have further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Kind regards

Patent Information Marketing