OPS Service in "overloaded" state

This space is made available to users of Open Patent Services (OPS) web-service and now also to users of EPO’s bulk data subscription products such as 14. EPO worldwide bibliographic database (DOCDB), 14.11 EPO worldwide legal status database (INPADOC), 14.12 EP full text data, 14.1 EP bibliographic data (EBD)and more.

Users can ask each other questions, exchange experiences and solutions, post ideas. The moderator will use this space to announce changes or other relevant information.

Mike_k43

OPS Service in "overloaded" state

Post by Mike_k43 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:11 pm

Dear Madams/Sirs,

There is in OPS responses a self-throttling header "X-throttling-Control" which among other indicates the usage state of the OPS servce with either "idle", "busy" or "overloaded". The OPS user manual v1.3.17, page 41 states that this header "is used to further encourage users to moderate their usage profile such that requests are sent to OPS in a uniform and consistent flow, avoiding periods of intense
usage". What I observe, particularly on Mondays and Tuesdays, that it is virtually impossible to obtain the images even of a single PDF publication due to constant "overloaded" state of the service. The manual hints at that such state is the result of the user in question exceeding his number of queries and to delay in such "overloaded" service state his further queries by 60 seconds. I do not think that downloading a single PDF publication page-by-page exceeds my query quota, especially as the "overloaded" state is received even before downloading the first page of the PDF publication. I rather think that there are other users exceeding their query quota and I receive the result of their overloading of the OPS service. Can the EPO please improve the performance of the servers doing the OPS service, or restrict these other users from overloading the OPS service?

mike_k43

EPO / OPS Support

Re: OPS Service in "overloaded" state

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:51 pm

Dear user,

We are aware of issues the OPS services.

Please be informed that we are in the process of modernising and improving our systems, and the services will benefit from that.

We apologise for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Kind regards,
OPS support

subw00feR

Post by subw00feR » Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:01 pm

Dear Madams/Sirs,

Since a few weeks the state of the OPS service is nearly every time "overloaded". (independent of day of week or time of day)

Kind regards,
Alex

EPO / OPS Support

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:12 pm

Hi,

I am not aware of any such issues lately, contact us with your developers ID to patentdata@epo.org so I can check your logs

Regards,
Vesna for OPS support