Patent Index 2020 - European patent applications - Replication

This is the place where the linked data/open data community can ask and respond to questions about or share experiences with EPO’s open bulk data sets. The moderator will use this forum to announce product related news.

fernandotaques

Patent Index 2020 - European patent applications - Replication

Post by fernandotaques » Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:06 pm

I would like to replicate the results reported in the Patent Index 2020 - European patent applications file (https://www.epo.org/about-us/annual-rep ... stics.html) for the indicator 'Total applications - split by main countries' in relation to the total of patents applied between 2015 and 2021. My Query shows results that are representatively higher than the values disclosed by the EPO, possibly due to duplicate values or inadequate code.

Did a colleague try to do this data collection?

Thanks,
Fernando

EPO / EPAL Team

Re: Patent Index 2020 - European patent applications - Replication

Post by EPO / EPAL Team » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:49 pm

Dear Fernando,
which EPO product(s) are you using? GPI? PATSTAT? ..
It would help us if you could share your query with us.
Thank you and best regards,
epal team

fernandotaques

Post by fernandotaques » Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:02 am

Dear EPO team,
I am using specifically PATSTAT EP register database.
I propose to get a list of all the data in the patent application. Are expected that the sum of individual lines matches the sum value by country corresponding to the total value posted on the spreadsheet by the EPO. So I will do the same for the sectors.
Thank you and best regards,
Fernando

EPO / PATSTAT Support

Post by EPO / PATSTAT Support » Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:31 pm

Dear Fernando,
using SQL in PATSTAT Register, there is indeed a risk for double counting when multiple tables are joined in a query. Each joined table might multiplicate the number of rows if no further restrictions are applied in the WHERE clause.

Generally spoken on using PATSTAT for "replicating" figures published by the EPO,have a look at this PATSTAT forum topic:
count-number-of-patent-applications-8372#p24162

So normally, the application figures published in the official EPO statistics will be about 10% higher then what you can find via PATSTAT Global or PATSTAT Register. Without seeing your query, it is not possible to provide more thoughts on the possible reason for the differences.
PATSTAT Support Team
EPO - Vienna
patstat @ epo.org