Patents not found at Patstat

Here you can post your opinions, ask questions and share experiences on the PATSTAT product line. Please always indicate the PATSTAT edition (e.g. 2015 Autumn Edition) and the database (e.g. PATSTAT Online, MySQL, MS SQL Server, ...) you are using.

HericaRighi

Patents not found at Patstat

Post by HericaRighi » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:23 am

Hi! I am doing a research about patents and grants. I have a list of patents declared by scientists and I checked the number at Espacenet, to see if they were valid or not. But, when I search for information about these patents at Patstat, some of them are not founded by patstat. Does anyone can explain me how a patent is present at Espacenet but not at Patstat? Thank you!

EPO / PATSTAT Support

Re: Patents not found at Patstat

Post by EPO / PATSTAT Support » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:23 am

Hello,
Generally spoken:
PATSTAT is produced 2 times per year, in Spring and Autumn. Those releases are based on data extractions carried out in January and July (mostly). So any publication or data being added to our databases between January 2020 and now will not be available in the current PATSTAT 2020a release. Data added between 01/2020 and 07/2020 will become available in Autumn (PATSTAT 2020b) - which is then based on the July 2020 extraction.

Separate from the above, ESPACENET is a bit more flexible on for example number searches then PATSTAT.
Maybe you can give some concrete examples of your observations ?
PATSTAT Support Team
EPO - Vienna
patstat @ epo.org