PATSTAT GLOBAL Frontfile vs Single edition

Here you can post your opinions, ask questions and share experiences on the PATSTAT product line. Please always indicate the PATSTAT edition (e.g. 2015 Autumn Edition) and the database (e.g. PATSTAT Online, MySQL, MS SQL Server, ...) you are using.

confusion

PATSTAT GLOBAL Frontfile vs Single edition

Post by confusion » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:18 am

Hello everyone,

Can someone please elaborate on the difference between the PATSTAT GLOBAL Frontfile (1.460,00 €) and the PATSTAT GLOBAL Single edition (975€)?

Also, is the Frontfile a continuously updated database (like bi-weekly), while the single edition is a snapshot of that at a given point in time (without constant updates).

If this is true, it would mean that the "Frontfile" when bought would be delivered in an online format to allow for the updates while the "single edition" could be just set up locally on a server?

Many thanks in advance and best wishes!

EPO / OPS Support

Re: PATSTAT GLOBAL Frontfile vs Single edition

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:38 pm

Hi
No, what you describe is true only for bulk raw data sets.

Patstat is produced twice per year. If you get a subscription to Patstat 2024, you get both editions, and if you choose a single edition, you only get one edition, either the Spring or Autumn edition. Whatever you want is your choice. In both cases, you get the entire data collection extracted, and the extraction reflects what the databases used for PATSTAT looked like on the day of extraction; you get a screenshot of the entire database (both DOCDB and INPADOC) as it was on that day. For the Spring Edition, the extraction is done in January, and for the Autumn Edition, you get a screenshot of the database done in August.

Subscriptions are then automatically extended into next year unless you cancel them on time. Single edition: you buy it once only, and it will not be prolonged.

I hope this explains it.

Regards,
Vesna for Bulk data sets at EPO's Data Services

fede

Post by fede » Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:19 am

Thank you Vesna for the clarification. I had the same doubts of the first user.
To be sure: I want to download Patstat once and load it into my SQL environment, so I select "Single edition".
During the process the shop mentions the additional service fee (which I remember I paid in 2022) but the final checkout page list only the 975 euro of the single edition.
Since I need to prepare an internal order for my administrative office, I would like to be sure on if that service fee might appear at some point.
thank you!

abbotta

Post by abbotta » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:07 am

Hi everyone,
How often is Patstat produced and what does a subscription include in terms of data extraction?

EPO / PATSTAT Support

Post by EPO / PATSTAT Support » Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:51 am

The service fee (150 euro) for PATSTAT Global (or any of the data sets on the download platform) is abolished for 2024 subscriptions. But you still need to register to get access to the platform. (user_id, password, etc...)
PATSTAT is produced 2 times per year. We are currently working on the Spring 2024 edition.
With regards to data extraction:
the question is irrelevant for PATSTAT Global because the compete PATSTAT data base has to be installed on your own platform. So you have all the data at hand, and you use whatever tools you feel fit.
With regards to data extractions or downloads from PATSTAT Online, kindly see: patstat-online-download-and-extraction-limitations-9515
PATSTAT Support Team
EPO - Vienna
patstat @ epo.org