PATSTAT GLOBAL - REGISTER difference

Here you can post your opinions, ask questions and share experiences on the PATSTAT product line. Please always indicate the PATSTAT edition (e.g. 2015 Autumn Edition) and the database (e.g. PATSTAT Online, MySQL, MS SQL Server, ...) you are using.

kwestor

PATSTAT GLOBAL - REGISTER difference

Post by kwestor » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:41 am

Hello,
I need to know the specific difference between PATSTAT Global and Register databases. Particularly I need to know whether there are difference in time coverage or geographic cover between then. I know I can read through the whole documents, but frankly speaking after analysing parts of them they seem similar. Do you have one file explaining the differences between them?
I would have been very grateful
Best wishes
Mark

EPO / PATSTAT Support

Re: PATSTAT GLOBAL - REGISTER difference

Post by EPO / PATSTAT Support » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:10 am

Hello Mark,
PATSTAT Global is a data base containing bibliographical data from many (+/- 100) different patent offices, going as far back in time as possible. Basically; any bibliographical data provided to the EPO is available in PATSTAT Global. The EPO data is complete, as is the case for some of the other main patent offices.
PATSTAT Global also contains the so called INPADOC data in the tls231_inpadoc_legal_event table
See also: mapping-data-completeness-of-patstat-global-7984

PATSTAT Register contains procedural and event information on ALL patent applications that have been dealt with by the EPO. Some bibliographical data items such as application and publication numbers, filing and publication dates, application title, priority data are of course available in PATSTAT Global as well as PATSTAT Register.

For each application on which there is data available in PATSTAT Register, you will find complementary data in PATSTAT Global. Both data bases can be linked via the appln_id or internat_appln_id attributes in the tables tls201_appln and reg101_appln.

Whether to use PATSTAT Global or PATSTAT Register depends entirely on the use case, but 90 % of research is using PATSTAT Global.
PATSTAT Support Team
EPO - Vienna
patstat @ epo.org

kwestor

Post by kwestor » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:30 pm

Thanks for the response!
So basically, if PATSTAT Global contains virtually the same data as the PATSTAT Register what's the advantages of the former one? Is EP Register Data smaller than INPADOC and DOCDB? Is there a similar data coverage to PATSTAT Register?
with regards
Mark

EPO / PATSTAT Support

Post by EPO / PATSTAT Support » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:25 am

Hello Mark,
PATSTAT Global and PATSTAT Register do not contain the same data - but there is an overlap-.
To have a good overview on the differences, I would recommend you to have a closer look at the data base model in the PATSTAT Global and PATSTAT Register data catalogs.
You find them in the documentation section here: https://www.epo.org/searching-for-paten ... stat.html
You could also subscribe for a free PATSTAT Online test account, write a small query and extract all the data from PATSTAT Global and PATSTAT Register. (In PATSTAT Online you can do this in 1 go.)
Small query to extract 10.000 applications.

Code: Select all

select top 10000 * from reg101_appln
If you then look at the TLS and REG tables (and the data catalogs), it should become obvious what the differences are between PATSTAT Global and PATSTAT Register.
PATSTAT Support Team
EPO - Vienna
patstat @ epo.org