PCT application number input format in DOCDB and EPODOC

This space is made available to users of Open Patent Services (OPS) web-service and now also to users of EPO’s bulk data subscription products such as 14. EPO worldwide bibliographic database (DOCDB), 14.11 EPO worldwide legal status database (INPADOC), 14.12 EP full text data, 14.1 EP bibliographic data (EBD)and more.

Users can ask each other questions, exchange experiences and solutions, post ideas. The moderator will use this space to announce changes or other relevant information.

EPO / OPS Support

PCT application number input format in DOCDB and EPODOC

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:26 pm

Dear all,

As you know, EPO's data sets use two number format flavours for searching and displaying data:

- EPODOC number normalisation, used by Classic Espacenet and OPS Publication Service: see
https://www.epo.org/searching-for-paten ... /faq.html (see answer to question under “Search formats” section of FAQ’s under " Sometimes, when using a reference in EPODOC format, I can find a publication in Espacenet, but not in OPS. Why is that?")

- DOCDB number format, used by all DOCDB- based sets and tools, as well as New Espacenet and OPS Legal, Family and also in OPS Publication Service: see rules here https://www.epo.org/searching-for-paten ... ular.html (see 2 and 3 table).

Usually the two formats are very close to original formats for publication numbers . Application/priority numbers can considerably differ this is why we advise using DOCDB format when in doubt because we offer tables with rules for DOCDB format.

But users who want to search any PCT application number usually have issues knowing the format because this one is the most difficult to predict out of the original format and it is also not described in DOCDB tables or in EPODOC simplification rules.

This is why I am publishing here a small sheet with both variations.

I hope you find it useful.

]
PCT applications formats at the EPO.PNG
Vesna for OPS support
Attachments
pct.pptx
(372.92 KiB) Downloaded 337 times

ppyujtm

Re: PCT application number input format in DOCDB and EPODOC

Post by ppyujtm » Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:03 am

This is useful, thanks.

Is it possible to obtain the PCT application number in original format (e.g. PCT/CCYYYY/....) from any of the OPS endpoints? Or perhaps the "Number service" could be used to convert the docdb or epodoc PCT number formats into the original format?

EPO / OPS Support

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:00 am

Hi

I am sorry, I missed your question.

Yes, as OPS documentation states, you can also convert original PCT application number into our house formats, using OPS Number service:

Here example from my previous image:

URL should look
.../rest-services/number-service/application/original/(PCT/KR2011/000110).20110107/epodoc

or
/docdb
See OPS manual for more information: https://www.epo.org/searching-for-paten ... s/ops.html (on Further information page).

Regards,
Vesna for OPS support
Attachments
Capture_numbering_docdb.PNG
Capture_numb_epodoc.PNG

ppyujtm

Post by ppyujtm » Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:06 pm

Thanks. Yes, I checked that part of the manual. But is it possible to use Number Service to go the other way to get the original application number from the epodoc format?

EPO / OPS Support

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:00 pm

As page 91 states, it is possible to get original out of epodoc:

Input format Output format
original docdb, epodoc
docdb epodoc, original
epodoc original

Regards,
Vesna for OPS support

ppyujtm

Post by ppyujtm » Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:45 am

Hi Vesna
Many thanks for your reply again. I am having difficulty with the structure of the request going from epodoc format to original format. I receive the 404 error "At least one reference in the request has an unsupported country code: Invalid reference. Country code can't be empty."

Would you be able to show the URL of the example you provided going from epodoc to original i.e. from WO2011KR00110 to PCT/KR2011/000110?

EPO / OPS Support

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:00 pm

Hi

This works as seen in the link above, check if you set the URL on "application" number and not "publication"
Here a picture what OPS Numbering in Developers Console shows me:
Capture_vv.PNG

<ops:standardization inputFormat="original" outputFormat="epodoc">
<ops:input>
<ops:application-reference>
<document-id document-id-type="original">
<doc-number>PCT/KR2011/000110</doc-number>
<date>20110107</date>
</document-id>
</ops:application-reference>
</ops:input>
<ops:output>