Priority number

Tips and tricks on how to get the most out of Espacenet

marvelsferb7

Priority number

Post by marvelsferb7 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:06 am

When I click on the priority number in the bibliographic data I get a message telling me "No documents available for priority number". Is it possible to see the priority applications and if so how do I do this?

Thank you

EPO / OPS Support

Re: Priority number

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:29 pm

Hi,

You can only display priority documents via such link if:

- the document has matured into a publication, which does not always happen in case of priorities/first filings.
Please remember, Espacenet is a prior art database and therefore offering only access to the real publications (laid open and/or granted) as oppose to some other databases at the EPO that offer access to the bibliographic data in general (GPI, DOCDB, PATSTAT etc...)

- the document has been published and the publication is available in our database
For example, if priority document is from India, it was published in India but because we don't load any new Indian's documents you cannot see such publication in Espacenet).

There are several other reasons why a priority link will not lead to a record in Espacenet, but the above two reasons are the most common ones. There can be issues in data format or discrepancy between data provided via biblio as oppose data provided via original data source etc...

For questions like this it's always better to give us an example of such priority number so that we can give you precise reply for exactly the case in question.

If you want us to do that send us an email to patentdata@epo.org and tell us which priority could not be displayed.

Regards,

Vesna Vajsbaher for Patent data and OPS at the EPO

FletcherHusband

Re: Priority number

Post by FletcherHusband » Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:21 am

marvelsferb7 wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:06 am
When I click on the priority number in the bibliographic data I get a message telling me "No documents available for priority number". Is it possible to see the priority applications and if so how do I do this?

Thank you
The priority application might not be publicly accessible, or you may not have the necessary permissions to view it. Some patent information is confidential or restricted.