Publishing in colour

Here you can find announcements regarding the EPO's patent information products and services, events and activities.

Please also feel free to ask questions and share information on general patent information matters.

PatentAdmin1

Publishing in colour

Post by PatentAdmin1 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:26 am

Hi

If national offices decided to publish their specifications in colour would Espacenet be able to show these publications in colour or would they be displayed in black and white?

EPO / Innovation Networks

Publishing in colour

Post by EPO / Innovation Networks » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:41 pm

Hi,

Espacenet could not display coloured documents as it stands today.

However, if patent offices were to publish in colour, we would have no option but to display in colour and would have to adapt Espacenet accordingly.

Kind regards,

The Patent Information User Support Team
Kind regards,

The Innovation Networks Team

AleksanderS

Re: Publishing in colour

Post by AleksanderS » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:29 pm

How much of a burden, in terms of both financing as well as additional data handling & storage requirements, would it be to Espacenet to include colour in patent documents?

Is there an "include-colour-in-patent-docs" initiative raised by any private person(s) or official body? If so, how could they be contacted? I could offer a few good arguments to support this idea.

EPO / Innovation Networks

Publishing in colour

Post by EPO / Innovation Networks » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:43 pm

Dear Aleksander,

The burden to include coloured publications in Espacenet is not an issue we could no overcome pretty quickly. As I mentioned in my post below, if national offices decided to publish in colour, we would be obliged to publish these (also in colour) in Espacenet.

I am not aware of any user incentives. Perhaps other forum users might like to join in the discussion and share their views on the topic.

Kind regards,

Lisa McDonald-Maier
Head Patent Information User Support