publn_date, tls209, weight

Here you can post your opinions, ask questions and share experiences on the PATSTAT product line. Please always indicate the PATSTAT edition (e.g. 2015 Autumn Edition) and the database (e.g. PATSTAT Online, MySQL, MS SQL Server, ...) you are using.

LeoLei

publn_date, tls209, weight

Post by LeoLei » Thu May 24, 2018 3:38 pm

Hi everyone,

I am currently working with Patstat Legal Status Version 5.10 (2017 Autumn Edition) and there are a some questions on different topics which have arisen:

1, Does the earliest_publn_date equal the min(publn_date) grouped by the appln_id?

2, Is it possible, that an appln_id is part of multiple txt-files, for example, tls209_part01 and tls209_part02? Or is all information concerning one appln_id always sorted in one txt-file? This question is mostly concerning tls209.

3, How is weight constructed and how it is related to patent scope based on the following code: [COUNT(distinct LEFT(ipc_class_symbol, 4))] ?

Thank you and best regards,

Leo

EPO / PATSTAT Support

Re: publn_date, tls209, weight

Post by EPO / PATSTAT Support » Fri May 25, 2018 10:51 am

Dear Leo,

1) Yes. See the description of this attribute in the Data Catalog: “EARLIEST_PUBLN_DATE: Date of earliest publication of an application”

2) Yes, it is possible, and actually it is very likely.
Usually there are more IPCs for a single application, so there are as many rows in table TLS209_APPLN_IPC as there are IPCs assigned to this application. Consequently there are as many rows in the files TLS209_PARTnn.
The about 230 000 000 IPC data rows are split into reasonably sized files without considering the content.
Note: You always have to load all files of a certain table.

3) I am not sure I understand your question. I also do not know what exactly PATENTSCOPE is doing.
But I can explain the attribute WEIGHT. It is used in 2 tables: TLS229_APPLN_NACE2 and TLS230_APPLN_TECHN_FIELD.
Let’s make an example with the latter: There is an application with APPLN_ID = 2082736 which has 3 IPCs:
  • G06F 9/46
  • G06F 17/30
  • H04L 29/08
According to reference table TLS901_TECHN_FIELD_IPC the two G06F symbols are mapped to technical field 6 (Computer technology), and the single symbol from H04L is mapped to technical field 4 (Digital communication). So this application is associated to 2 technical field: to TF 6 with a weight of 0.66, and to TF 4 with a weight of 0.33 .
The sum of all weights of an application always sums up to the value 1.

Martin
PATSTAT Support Team
EPO - Vienna
patstat @ epo.org