Querying utility models in France

Here you can post your opinions, ask questions and share experiences on the PATSTAT product line. Please always indicate the PATSTAT edition (e.g. 2015 Autumn Edition) and the database (e.g. PATSTAT Online, MySQL, MS SQL Server, ...) you are using.

carmen.calatrava

Querying utility models in France

Post by carmen.calatrava » Mon May 22, 2017 5:52 pm

Dear community,

I am retrieving the number of utility models filled in France between 1992 and 2016 with the following query:

SELECT COUNT(appln_id), appln_filing_year
FROM tls201_appln a
WHERE
appln_kind = 'U' -- only utility models
AND appln_auth = 'FR' -- only in France
AND appln_id < 900000000 -- exclude artificial applications
AND appln_filing_year>1991
AND appln_filing_year<2017
GROUP BY appln_filing_year
ORDER BY appln_filing_year

However, it does not return any data because France seems not to identify utility models (called "certificate of utility" in France) with the kind-code "U". My guess is that they are categorizing utility models as patents.

My question is: Could somebody shed some light on how to query utility models in France?

Thank you so much in advance and best regards,
Carmen

mkracker

Re: Querying utility models in France

Post by mkracker » Tue May 23, 2017 9:49 am

Dear Carmen,

Your approach comes close. Unfortunately it does not work for France, because for FR there is no distinction in the type of application APPLN_KIND between patents and utility models. However, utility models can be identified by the kind of publications that are published. In the “Kind code concordance list” (http://www.epo.org/searching-for-patent ... gular.html ) you will find the short description of all publication kinds.

All this has already been taken into account in the attribute IPR_TYPE (type of the intellectual property right). As usual, see the Data Catalog for details.

So IPR_TYPE = ‘UM’ should give you the desired result.

Best regards,
Martin / EPO
-------------------------------------------
Martin Kracker / EPO

carmen.calatrava

Re: Querying utility models in France

Post by carmen.calatrava » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:40 pm

Thank you very much for your answer! Problem solved!