Question about search for IPC_class_symbol

Here you can post your opinions, ask questions and share experiences on the PATSTAT product line. Please always indicate the PATSTAT edition (e.g. 2015 Autumn Edition) and the database (e.g. PATSTAT Online, MySQL, MS SQL Server, ...) you are using.

liuxia0510

Question about search for IPC_class_symbol

Post by liuxia0510 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:23 am

I want to download the database based on the IPC classification of green patents, listed by OECD green patents report, for example select xx from xx where pc_class_symbol like ' B60L7/10'. how should I type the space ?
many thanks

mkracker

Re: Question about search for IPC_class_symbol

Post by mkracker » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:11 am

IPC as well as CPC symbols in PATSTAT are formatted according to WIPO standard ST.8. In ST.8 the main group always has 4 characters, consisting of a right aligned number and leading blanks to fill up the 4 positions.

So when searching for IPC symbol B60L7/10 you must add 3 spaces, because the main group consists of a single digit '7'. So a condition would look like this:

Code: Select all

ipc_class_symbol = 'B60L   7/10 '
when searching for exactly this symbol. To use a wild card requires the LIKE operator. To search for all subgroups of 'B60L 7/', you would therefore write:

Code: Select all

ipc_class_symbol like 'B60L   7/%' 

When you are not sure about the meaning, allowed values or format of an attribute, it's always a good idea to consult the Data Catalog, downloadable from EPO's PATSTAT page http://www.epo.org/searching-for-patent ... tstat.html in tab "Download".

I hope that helps.
-------------------------------------------
Martin Kracker / EPO

liuxia0510

Re: Question about search for IPC_class_symbol

Post by liuxia0510 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:48 pm

very useful, thanks a lot!