Question in terms of IPC classification on Patstat

Here you can post your opinions, ask questions and share experiences on the PATSTAT product line. Please always indicate the PATSTAT edition (e.g. 2015 Autumn Edition) and the database (e.g. PATSTAT Online, MySQL, MS SQL Server, ...) you are using.

torben

Question in terms of IPC classification on Patstat

Post by torben » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:57 am

Hello,

I'm using an offline version of Patstat 2015. I wanted to know, if there is a posibility to get some kind of main IPC class of an EP-patent. I know that in Patstat is a table called tls209_appln_ipc with the column ipc_position. I think it exhibits the place of naming for the IPC class in an patent specification.

At the USPTO or in german patent data you can find a main class which the patent is assigned to.

mkracker

Re: Question in terms of IPC classification on Patstat

Post by mkracker » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:34 am

Hi Torben,

I suppose by "main IPC class" you mean the "most representative" of the IPC symbols.

Of all the IPCs assigned, there should always be a "first" IPC (IPC_POSITION = 'F'). However, its meaning depends on the office:
  • I know that for German publications (and I think also for USPTO) the "first" IPC really is the "most representative".
  • For EP, however, the "first" does not have a special meaning. AFAIK the first IPC simply is the first IPC in alphabetic order.
Note that some symbols have a blank IPC_POSITION. I suppose this is due to IPC reclassifications, where newly assigned IPCs do not have a value in IPC_POSITION.

Martin
-------------------------------------------
Martin Kracker / EPO