Question on patent transfers (changes in ownership)

Here you can post your opinions, ask questions and share experiences on the PATSTAT product line. Please always indicate the PATSTAT edition (e.g. 2015 Autumn Edition) and the database (e.g. PATSTAT Online, MySQL, MS SQL Server, ...) you are using.

Maddalena

Question on patent transfers (changes in ownership)

Post by Maddalena » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:56 pm

Hello!

I would like to create a database of patent transfers between countries using PATSTAT. Therefore, I would have to identify changes in patent ownership over time for each patent and the countries of the new and the former owner for each transfer. Does anyone know which variables in PATSTAT I can use for this?

Thanks in advance!

Geert Boedt

Re: Question on patent transfers (changes in ownership)

Post by Geert Boedt » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:28 pm

Hello Maddalena,
kindly have a look at slide 14 from this presentation which was given at the PATSTAT user day 2015 in Vienna.
Bottom line message is :
sketchy data because no legal framework to "oblige" applicants to register transfers (or licences),
wrong coding of data (change address or name coded as change of applicant/owner);
data for respective national patent offices might be available via the tls221_inpadoc_prs table, but there is no standard with regards to the codes indicating a transfer of ownership.

Conclusion: some data might be available for some countries. Coverage and completeness needs to be checked to see if it is sufficient for doing proper analysis. For statistics : maybe yes, for "watching service" no.
Attachments
GB_Q&A.pdf
(172.33 KiB) Downloaded 283 times
Best regards,

Geert Boedt
PATSTAT support
Business Use of Patent Information
EPO Vienna

h0951644

Post by h0951644 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:49 pm

Hi,

since Geert wrote that the data for changes in ownership is fuzzy for most the countries - does anybody have experience whether data is good for single countries with regard to ownership changes? If so, what countries would that potentially be? Maybe somebody knows a country where indicating ownership changes to the national patent office is very strict.

Thanks for your help in advance,

h.

Geert Boedt

Post by Geert Boedt » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:48 am

The only extra information I could find is this presentation from Catalina Martinez.
http://www.oecd.org/sti/sci-tech/49363502.pdf
Best regards,

Geert Boedt
PATSTAT support
Business Use of Patent Information
EPO Vienna