questions concerning patent download together with description

Kaixiansu

questions concerning patent download together with description

Post by Kaixiansu » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:45 pm

Hi, team,
I am using smart research of espacenet trying to download list of patents together with the descriptions(abstract) of patents. However, I can only see the description when I click into the title of a patent online, when I check the downloaded CSV ducument, the description is not included.Therefore I would like to ask how to download the description (abstract) together with the patent information?

Secondly I´d like to ask whether I can use English keywords to find results in other languages? I am currently collecting the patents information of european top white goods companies.Some of the companies might have applied their patents in German or Turkish... whereas I conduct my study only in English. Will I have the problem of searching if I only speak English?
Thank you very much for your help!

Best Regards
Kaixian

Patent Information Marketing

Re: questions concerning patent download together with description

Post by Patent Information Marketing » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:27 pm

Dear user,

As you already described the download from the result list does not comprise the description. It either comprises the list of documents with the bibliographic data ore the front pages. You will have to open the individual records to be able to download the original document or the descripton.

Searching with English keywords will find only documents that comprise these words. However you will most of the time also find Family members of other languages via their English members. We recommend translating the terms to include also German or French documents. An even better approach in many cases is to identify the IPC and CPC classifcation symbols (e.g. via classification search) that will improve the quality of your searches tremendously by generally allowing you to find more documents that are relevant.
Kind regards

Kaixiansu

Post by Kaixiansu » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:26 pm

Thank you for your reply!
Could you please give a further explaination about how to open individual record while downloading the files? I am not sure I understand it correctly.

Post by Patent Information Marketing » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:17 pm

Dear user,
on the left hand side of the interface you see the result list. If you click on a single item you will get the details for this specific document. If you select the description or the original document you can click on the three dot menue on the right hand side to download the docx or the pdf document.

If you are working from the downloaded file, you will have to open the documents in Espacenet by clicking on publication number and then follow the steps above.
Kind regards

Proton

Post by Proton » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:03 pm

Dear team,

I have got a question regarding the second part of the original question. I understand that I can just find patents that include english words or an english family member, if I search using english words.

I searched with this expressions:
cl = "D06" AND (ctxt = "micropartic*" OR ctxt = "microscal*" OR ctxt = "microsphere*" OR ctxt = "microcapsul*") AND (ctxt = "antimicrob*" OR ctxt = "antibacteri*" OR ctxt = "antivir*" OR ctxt = "antifung*" OR ctxt = "bacteri*" OR ctxt = "microbi*")

and the first result is a Chinese Patent (CN111155234A), which has not any family members. And the original document is in mandarin. So why is it in my search results?

Does Espacenet also search in englisch translations?

Post by Patent Information Marketing » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:18 pm

Dear user,
Indeed that is the most important feature of the bulk translated text: It improves the searches in non-English documents. The first claim of the first hit in Espacenet comprises the search terms in the bulk translation. We hope that you find that helpful.
Kind regards

Proton

Post by Proton » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:13 am

Thanks for your reply. Yes, your answer and the function itself is really helpful.

Post by Patent Information Marketing » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:11 pm

Dear user,
Thank you again for your detailed questions that help us to understand better how Espacenet is used and which questions need further explanations, that we may provide in our trainings and online help.
Kind regards

mayo72218

Post by mayo72218 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:55 am

Patent Information Marketing wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:18 pm
Dear user,
Indeed that is the most important feature of the bulk translated text: It improves the searches in non-English documents. The first claim of the first hit in Espacenet comprises the search terms in the bulk translation. We hope that you find that helpful.
Thanks a lot. Your answer helps me a lot!