Regarding the definition of "inventor"

Here you can find announcements regarding the EPO's patent information products and services, events and activities.

Please also feel free to ask questions and share information on general patent information matters.

blue & green

Regarding the definition of "inventor"

Post by blue & green » Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:21 pm

Hi,
one of my files (first authentication) certified by a patent office as utility model. Now, can I use this description for myself at anywhere?

EPO / Innovation Networks

Re: Regarding the definition of "inventor"

Post by EPO / Innovation Networks » Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:49 pm

Dear blue & green,
Please address your question directly to support@epo.org.
Kind regards,

The Innovation Networks Team

Kennethsingley

Post by Kennethsingley » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:59 am

A utility model certificate granted by a patent office gives you the right to prevent others from commercially exploiting the claimed invention within the scope of the granted protection. However, the scope of protection is limited to the geographical area of the granting jurisdiction and may not apply worldwide.

It is important to note that the right to use a utility model certificate may also be subject to limitations imposed by other laws, such as competition law, trade secrets law, and/or copyright law.

If you want to use the claimed invention outside the geographical area of the granted protection, it may be necessary to obtain additional protection through the filing of additional utility model or patent applications in other countries.

It is recommended to seek the advice of a qualified intellectual property attorney to fully understand your rights and obligations under the granted utility model certificate.

Elizabethgabor

Post by Elizabethgabor » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:13 am

Hi,
I just want to say that Utility model certificates are typically granted by a patent office for a specific jurisdiction and provide exclusive rights to use the invention within that jurisdiction. While you may use the description of your utility model certificate to assert your rights within the jurisdiction in which it was granted, you may not be able to use it elsewhere without obtaining additional protection in those other jurisdictions. If you wish to use the invention in other countries, you may need to obtain separate patents or utility models in each of those jurisdictions.
Regards,
Elizabethgabor

Nikhil89

Post by Nikhil89 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:17 pm

An inventor is a person who creates or discovers a new product, device, or process. The invention can be a tangible item, such as the machine or device, or an intangible one, such as a new method or process. Inventors use their knowledge, skills, and creativity to come up with novel solutions to problems or to improve existing products and processes. Inventors may work independently or as part of a team, and they may develop their ideas through trial and error, research, or intuition.

In the legal sense, an inventor is recognized as the person or group of people who have contributed to the conception and reduction to the practice of the invention. This definition is used in the context of patent law, where an inventor is entitled to the rights and benefits of a granted patent.

Kimbermoore2

Post by Kimbermoore2 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:22 pm

blue & green wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:21 pm
Hi,
one of my files (first authentication) certified by a patent office as utility model. Now, can I use this description for myself at anywhere?
If your patent application has been granted as a utility model by a patent office, such as the Turkish Patent and Trademark Office, it does not automatically mean that you can use the same description for yourself in any other jurisdiction, including the European Patent Office (EPO).

Each jurisdiction has its own laws and regulations governing the patent system, and the requirements for patentability and the scope of protection may vary. Therefore, you would need to file a separate patent application with the EPO if you wish to obtain protection for your invention in Europe.

In order to apply for a European patent, you would need to file a patent application with the EPO and follow the procedures outlined by the EPO. This would include submitting a complete and accurate description of your invention, as well as complying with any other requirements set out by the EPO.

It is important to note that a utility model granted by one patent office does not automatically mean that it would be granted by another patent office. Therefore, you may need to adapt or modify your description to meet the requirements of the EPO.

I would recommend consulting with a patent attorney or agent who is familiar with the patent laws and procedures in Europe to assist you with filing a European patent application.