results sorted by relevance?

This space is made available to users of Open Patent Services (OPS) web-service and now also to users of EPO’s bulk data subscription products such as 14. EPO worldwide bibliographic database (DOCDB), 14.11 EPO worldwide legal status database (INPADOC), 14.12 EP full text data, 14.1 EP bibliographic data (EBD)and more.

Users can ask each other questions, exchange experiences and solutions, post ideas. The moderator will use this space to announce changes or other relevant information.

lsalsich

results sorted by relevance?

Post by lsalsich » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:19 pm

Hello,

I'm exploring the options in the OPS API and so far I'm really happy. However, I can't figure out if there is a way to sort the results based on some sort of relevance or score as opposed to sorting by the date when the items were added to the database.

For example, if I search

http://ops.epo.org/3.2/rest-services/pu ... =ti=camera

Can I sort based on the 'score' of the results? I.e. how relevant is one results compared to another?

On a related note, what database is the data stored in? SOLR?

EPO / OPS Support

Re: results sorted by relevance?

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:50 am

Hi,

EPO's OPS is only a web services offering access to same data as you can find in Espacenet and just like in Espacenet, you cannot do any such sorting. On top of it is OPS only access to the pure data, with no business rules and is therefore very limited in a way how it can be retrieved or displayed.
If you want to focus on the relevance of available documents then I suggest you use classification(s) in addition to only search terms.

Have a look at the CPC classification search in Espacenet first to get familiar with it: https://worldwide.espacenet.com/classif ... cale=en_EP.
OPS offers same classification search as well but its easier to start from Espacenet in case you are not familiar with using classifications in your search queries.

Regards,
Vesna for OPS