Results with the new version of Espacenet

Justine

Results with the new version of Espacenet

Post by Justine » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:44 am

Hi,
I have several questions about the new beta version of Espacenet :

- How does the ranking algorithm work ? Will you be releasing its source-code, in order to do better than G**gle Patents ? :-)

- Where can we find the Settings menu that is available on the older version ?

- I didn't quite understand how the results are now grouped by the new version... For a specific request such as [ta any "prosthe*" AND ta any "hip?"], there is a significant difference between the results I find with the old version (4102 results) and the new one (2608 results with 4908 publications)...

Thank you for your help,
Justine

Patent Information Marketing

Re: Results with the new version of Espacenet

Post by Patent Information Marketing » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:59 pm

Dear Justine,

Thank you very much for your interesting observations and questions. Regarding your question on the ranking: The search engine is based on elastic search which is provided by the back end. We will investigate in how far the transparency in how the ranking is done can be improved.

A settings menu is currently not (yet) implemented. The settings available in current Espacenet are automatically switched on per default in new Espacenet. So you have an improved highlighting, the classification pop-ups as well as the search history enabled without further actions required. The latter you can find under My Espacenet. In the future, we might introduce a settings menu when we have more options to customise your search experience.

Various reasons contribute to the fact of the difference in numbers of results retrieved. On the one hand, the results in both, current and new Espacenet, are representing a simple family each. Whilst in new Espacenet the exact number of families (and publications) matching the search criteria is known from the start, in current Espacenet only a forecast of the total number of families is done. Each page may give you a different estimation when browsing the results. Only once you have arrived in current Espacenet at the end of the list you will know the exact number. If you break down the search into smaller chunks (e.g. by searching for the different time periods and adding up the results) one arrives in current Espacenet at 2870 results which is much closer to the results in new Espacenet. The remaining difference can, amongst others, be attributed to the fact that the data coverage is not complete and the indexes are not yet finalised: We indeed will still re-run the indexing before the full version of Espacenet will be made available.

The basic scope of the beta testing is to test and get feedback on the new system its usability and functions. We hope this answers your questions.
EPO_Espacenet_Web_993x170px_72dpi_RGB.jpg
Kind regards

Justine

Post by Justine » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:24 pm

Thank you for your response.

I have another question : how can I display the images in the classification pop-ups ? I can't find any equivalent to the dedicated "Images" tab that used to be next to the "Scheme" one in the old Espacenet.

Many thanks,
Justine

Post by Patent Information Marketing » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:35 am

Dear Justine,

Thank you very much again for your observation. We will investigate this issue as well.
Kind regards