Retrieval of Granted Patents

This space is made available to users of Open Patent Services (OPS) web-service and now also to users of EPO’s bulk data subscription products such as 14. EPO worldwide bibliographic database (DOCDB), 14.11 EPO worldwide legal status database (INPADOC), 14.12 EP full text data, 14.1 EP bibliographic data (EBD)and more.

Users can ask each other questions, exchange experiences and solutions, post ideas. The moderator will use this space to announce changes or other relevant information.

patentmaster

Retrieval of Granted Patents

Post by patentmaster » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:54 pm

Hi,

Is there any way (e.g. CQL) from ops to retrieve only granted patent documents e.g. EP, DE etc. for a given week e.g. list/retrieve all the granted patents of this week or for a given time period for a given country code.

I am interested to know what patents get granted every week. The USPTO for instance publishes granted patents weekly, available for the public to inspect, similarly the UK IPO provides a weekly xml update.

Thanks.

EPO / OPS Support

Re: Retrieval of Granted Patents

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:11 am

Hi,

You can get granted EP publications in OPS Register ("grd" filed identifier), but for other collections its not so straightforward. We don't have possibility to offer only granted information for worldwide collections because the patent systems around the world are just to versatile and are chancing constantly for us to identify which information is truly granted. Grant is usually a matter of legal event and not a publication step and different jurisdictions offer this information in a different way . Granted data was just recently started to be included in legal status information for worldwide collections and that means that legal status INPADOC will eventually be a source of this information, but at the moment we just don't have enough data gathered to recommend it.

As far as EP data, just like USPTO, DEPMA or majority of other offices, we offer our data and our granted data via European Patent Register or OPS Register and you can see newly added data every week on Wednesday, after 14:00 CEST, in either Register, European Publication Server, EP search tool in PISE, GPI, Espacenet or OPS Register

OPS Query would look like this: http://ops.epo.org/3.1/rest-services/re ... 3D20170712 (please use 3.2 OPS, I am only using 3.1 for demonstration purpose)

Due to limitation in OPS for retrieving only 2000 hits per search, I would suggest that you rather have a look at web service on European Publication Server instead: http://www.epo.org/searching-for-patent ... p.html#a10

Regards,
OPS support

patentmaster

Post by patentmaster » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:16 pm

Hi,

thank you for your response.

Just to confirm then that the INPADOC product line that EPO offers, contains granted data of at least some authorities. Do you happen to know for which countries?

If this is the case then what would the legal event code look like when a grant is published by a patent office? As an example I've downloaded a sample INPADOC file from here https://www.epo.org/searching-for-paten ... .html#tab1 that contains CH EP legal status data; what event codes should I be looking for? Does the INPADOC data collection include any event during the life of a patent even re classifications?

Thanks.

EPO / OPS Support

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:32 am

Hi,

This is a complete list of all legal statues events in INPADOC, including grants (where available). You need to see what we have and if any of those events are of use to you. Please note that we loaded events as we receive them from patent office’s so codes can differ from one jurisdiction to another.

Legal status codes:
https://www.epo.org/searching-for-paten ... eekly.html

Please just note that the only database in-house that is able to give you search results according to a specific legal status event is our Global Patent Index GPI. OPS CQL does not work in OPS Legal so you could not search legal status events in OPS or Espacenet.

I hope this helps,
OPS support