Retrieve the date of grant of a European patent

This space is made available to users of Open Patent Services (OPS) web-service and now also to users of EPO’s bulk data subscription products such as 14. EPO worldwide bibliographic database (DOCDB), 14.11 EPO worldwide legal status database (INPADOC), 14.12 EP full text data, 14.1 EP bibliographic data (EBD)and more.

Users can ask each other questions, exchange experiences and solutions, post ideas. The moderator will use this space to announce changes or other relevant information.

jern

Retrieve the date of grant of a European patent

Post by jern » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:22 pm

Hi, how can I retrieve the grant date using an OPS REST query to the Register? I can retrieve all the events data, but the last event seems to be the announcement of grant (event code 0009210). I need the actual grant date. Is it in procedural-steps? I couldn't see it.

Thanks.

gerben

Re: Retrieve the date of grant of a European patent

Post by gerben » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:41 am

I always use the publication date of the B1 as the grant date. I never checked if there is a formal notice in the legal status.

EPO / OPS Support

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:29 am

Hi

This information is in "events" as you can see in my image here:
Capture_bulletin.JPG

Regards,
Vesna for OPS support

jern

Post by jern » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:35 pm

Thank you! The B1 publication date seems to be what I need.

How would I retrieve the Gazette date of expected grant, using a REST query?

EPO / OPS Support

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:40 am

Dear Jern,

You question was specifically about how to find grant in a Register, this is why I showed you only that.
Date of expected grant you get in a same way as I showed you for actual grant, except that you need to concentrate on another event code, which is EP INTG (Intention to grant for EP patents). This information is available in Register 4 weeks in advance of Gazette publication.

There is a difference between looking into EBD (Gazette) for granted publications and just waiting for a B document to get published. There can be cases where in EBD grant is registered and announced but there will never be a B document published or publication of a B will be delayed. The question is more why you need certain information and that then depends from one user to another. There are users interested to know which publications were withdrawn by applicant before publication and for that they will compare EBD data with actual publications.

To just get a second publications one can do a simple Published Data search with Full-cycle constituent and you automatically get all the steps, you just need to know that publications are indeed all published already at the time of your search.

Regards,
Vesna for OPS support

jern

Post by jern » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:07 am

Thanks. Sorry I wasn't clear - I wasn't interested in the Intention to Grant, but in extracting the Gazette date for the 0009210 event code - (expected) date of grant. But I can see now that there are <gazette-reference> and <date> elements in the events-data XML, so my question is answered. Thank you.