Retrieving family members of US applications

This space is made available to users of Open Patent Services (OPS) web-service and now also to users of EPO’s bulk data subscription products such as 14. EPO worldwide bibliographic database (DOCDB), 14.11 EPO worldwide legal status database (INPADOC), 14.12 EP full text data, 14.1 EP bibliographic data (EBD)and more.

Users can ask each other questions, exchange experiences and solutions, post ideas. The moderator will use this space to announce changes or other relevant information.

heltime

Retrieving family members of US applications

Post by heltime » Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:33 am

Hi, I am noticing that requests for family members of US applications give 404 responses. I am not sure but I believe that used to work fine.

Example:
http://ops.epo.org/rest-services/family ... 4505718.A/

Are there any limitations regarding US applications on this endpoint?

Best regards.

gerben

Re: Retrieving family members of US applications

Post by gerben » Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:57 pm

US applications in docdb format are not the same as the original US application number and is rather messy as well.

Original US application number ss/#### filed in yyyy-mm-dd
ss: series number
######: serial application number (within that series)

Will be represented in docdb as:
yyyy-###### or as YYYY-ss######

US Application 14/505718 was filed on 2014-10-03
so the docdb numer is likely US.2014-505718.A or US.2014-14505718.A. Please try these both and see if either works.
If you have the corresponding publication numbers, it is better to use the corresponding publication numbers taking into account that for US pre-grant publications docdb deletes the fifth digit from the original publication number.

Regards,
Gerben

heltime

Post by heltime » Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:51 pm

Unfortunately, all I have is the application number (parsed out of an office action), no publication number or filing date. Would it be better to use epodoc notation perhaps?

gerben

Post by gerben » Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:39 pm

That won't help, the epodoc format for US application also includes the filing year. If all you have is the application number, the only option you have is to try a search using the original format.

heltime

Post by heltime » Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:56 am

Implemented, as suggested, a search if CC is US and number does not start with year. Seems to work. Thanks!