Retrieving publications for given application number using CQL code "sap"

This space is made available to users of Open Patent Services (OPS) web-service and now also to users of EPO’s bulk data subscription products such as 14. EPO worldwide bibliographic database (DOCDB), 14.11 EPO worldwide legal status database (INPADOC), 14.12 EP full text data, 14.1 EP bibliographic data (EBD)and more.

Users can ask each other questions, exchange experiences and solutions, post ideas. The moderator will use this space to announce changes or other relevant information.

Mike_k43

Retrieving publications for given application number using CQL code "sap"

Post by Mike_k43 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:30 pm

Hi,

I tried to retrieve all publications that result from a given application number.

However, for the application number US20000179065P, using the query
https://ops.epo.org/3.2/rest-services/p ... 000179065P
I get more than 100 publications.

This is not possible because U.S. provisional applications (code "P" at the end of the indicated application number) are not published at all by law. They can be converted to a "regular" application, and only in this case the resulting "regular" application, having its own and new application number, will be published.

Apparently the CQL code "sap" not only retrieves publications resulting from the application number indicated in the query, but also other publications having other application numbers.

What is the CQL code for retrieving only those publications that result from exactly the application number given in the query?

mike_k43

EPO / OPS Support

Re: Retrieving publications for given application number using CQL code "sap"

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:13 am

Hi,

I am actually very glad to see your post because it is a perfect example why we discourage users to use strait number search in CQL field. This is also a sole reason why we offer number search separately. Still, I agree that logic of using filed identifier which then gets ignored by CQL doesn't make sense. I will talk to developers to see why CQL behaves this way. It can be a bug or maybe there is some logic behind that it’s not really clear on the first glance.

But if you use number search you see this:

.../published-data/priority/epodoc/US20000179065P/full-cycle = you get ambiguous seed with 10 applications that claim priority of that US provisional filling. To continue you need to do 10 individual queries with full-cycle to load all those 10 biblios.

.../published-data/application/epodoc/US20000179065P/full-cycle = 0 (as you state correctly, they are only provisional fillings, not applications)

I will need some time but I will post my reply here when I have one

Regards,
Vesna for OPS support

EPO / OPS Support

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:44 pm

Hi,

After checking we think that only US provisional data is effected by this so we have asked developers to perform a fix. This will probably take some time and needs a maintenance release but please use Numbers search option in the meantime

Regards
Vesna for OPS

Mike_k43

Post by Mike_k43 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:22 am

Dear Vesna,

The application number query
".../published-data/application/epodoc//US20080027584P/biblio,full-cycle"
seems to work.

However the priority number query
" .../published-data/priority/epodoc//US20080027584P/biblio,full-cycle"
with X-OPS-Range either "1-100" or "1-10" returns: "(413) Request Entity Too Large."
The corresponding CQL query
".../published-data/search/biblio,full-cycle?q=spr%3DUS20080027584P"
with X-OPS-Range "1-100" returns 14 exchangedocuments.

So for the priority number search I must remain with the CQL syntax. Incidentally the results here have the field "priority linkage type" null, so I cannot decide which priorities within each result are "true" priorities. This field should be populated with appropriate codes from annex III of the docdb user manual.

mike_k43

EPO / OPS Support

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:42 am

Hi

Would that be something of use to you:

.../rest-services/family/priority/docdb/US.2758408.P/

Here you have entire INPADOC family with populated linkage type and indication if it is active priority or not.

Please note that OPS Family only takes numbers in DOCDB format.

Regards
Vesna for OPS