Running SQL code in online PATSTAT

Here you can post your opinions, ask questions and share experiences on the PATSTAT product line. Please always indicate the PATSTAT edition (e.g. 2015 Autumn Edition) and the database (e.g. PATSTAT Online, MySQL, MS SQL Server, ...) you are using.

paringyang

Running SQL code in online PATSTAT

Post by paringyang » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:48 pm

Hello,

I am a master's student and I would like to replenish missing inventor or applicant countries for LIB patents in PATSTAT and hence I was trying to use Professor Gaétan's code in PATSTAT online free trial (code provided here: data-replenishment-of-missing-inventor- ... 073#p34334)
However, due to maximum character limits in query, I could not run the code.

I was wondering if there is any way I can run the code above or the updated code (https://github.com/seligerf/Imputation- ... 190916.sql) on PATSTAT online?
If this is not possible, is there other way I can do this? For instance, do I need to subscribe PATSTAT Global?

Thank you very much in advance.

EPO / PATSTAT Support

Re: Running SQL code in online PATSTAT

Post by EPO / PATSTAT Support » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:26 pm

Hello paringyang,
It is indeed impossible to run Professor Gaétan's code on PATSTAT Online, also because users can not store their own (user defined) data on the PATSTAT Online platform.
My advice: extract the data which you need (maximum 100.000 applications), include the family members in the extraction, and then try to run the procedure off-line only on the extraction.
You will need some kind of data base platform to do this; and you will need to adapt Professor Gaétan's code to run on your platform.

The other alternative is to purchase PATSTAT Global and install it on a local platform. (or maybe somebody in the community is willing to do it for you)

Geert Boedt
PATSTAT Support Team
EPO - Vienna
patstat @ epo.org

paringyang

Post by paringyang » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:13 pm

Dear Geert,

Thank you very much for your kind reply.
I think I would be able to purchase PATSTAT Global as long as I can run the code.
May I ask what kind of platform does PATSTAT Global use? More importantly, can I use Professor Gaétan's code directly once I have installed it?

Thank you very much in advance.

EPO / PATSTAT Support

Post by EPO / PATSTAT Support » Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:59 pm

I can not guarantee that you will not have to adapt the code to your platform.
The sql code is written for MySQL, so if you have a MySQL data base platform, it might very well run without any further modifications.
PATSTAT Support Team
EPO - Vienna
patstat @ epo.org