Saving web pages with the new format

Alison Penfold

Saving web pages with the new format

Post by Alison Penfold » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:29 pm

Hello, this is my first time posting here. Being a patent translator, my problem may possibly not affect many other users here, but I not infrequently download various patent texts in a computer-readable form from Espacenet, and since the new format has been introduced I'm struggling. I select whichever part of the patent I'm interested in, (right?)click in the field on the lefthand side in which the text appears, and select "Save As", which saves it in .htm format (this all being done in Firefox). So far, so good.

However, the default on one of my computers is to open saved webpages in Internet Explorer, and this too works fine. But if I try to open the page in Firefox instead, I just get a blank page. I was wondering if anyone else had had this problem, and had found a solution which allows you to save the page in a format which can be read in most standard browsers?

Thanks in anticipation.

Patent Information Marketing

Re: Saving web pages with the new format

Post by Patent Information Marketing » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:34 am

Dear Alison,

Thank very much for your question which may interest more users. We recommend to avoid downloading web pages for the reasons you mention. We have introduced the three dot menu instead to manage the download, both on the level of the result list and for the documents. The downloadable content (if available) depends on the tab selected: You may select the description tab, in case you are interested to download the machine readable text of the description, which is offered in the docx format. Similarly the claims can be downloaded in this format and the original document in the pdf format. Citations, legal event and patent family are downloadable in xlsx format for maximum flexibility of sorting and filtering the data. The result list is downloadable in xlsx amd csv format up to the first 500 entries. Additionally up to the first 100 front pages are downloadable in pdf format. Please remember that sorting the result list via various criteria (e.g. earliest priority date) can help in case you want to split the downloads. See some more information also with regard to this on the following post.
Kind regards

Patent Information Marketing