Search for patents with no ipc

This space is made available to users of Open Patent Services (OPS) web-service and now also to users of EPO’s bulk data subscription products such as 14. EPO worldwide bibliographic database (DOCDB), 14.11 EPO worldwide legal status database (INPADOC), 14.12 EP full text data, 14.1 EP bibliographic data (EBD)and more.

Users can ask each other questions, exchange experiences and solutions, post ideas. The moderator will use this space to announce changes or other relevant information.

jpatent

Search for patents with no ipc

Post by jpatent » Sun May 12, 2019 1:59 pm

Dear support,

is there a way to search for patents like CA182819 (S), which do not have any classifications?
Of course I could search for title, abstract and other parameters.
But my problem is that I don't know those. I usually search for ipc and nothing else and because some patents don't have any classifications is there another way to find them? Maybe to specifically search for patents without any classifcations?

Best regards,
jpatent

EPO / OPS Support

Re: Search for patents with no ipc

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Mon May 13, 2019 7:43 am

Hi,

I am not sure how useful is searching without practically any conditions, don't you get more noise than useful results?

There are records that have no classification because they are either industrial rights applications that use no IPC/CPC or they are old patent publications that have very limited biblio or we didn’t get classes in a biblio feed from patent offices. In any case, you cannot really do much in OPS if you don’t extract the list of such patents you are interested in from some other database that is meant for professional searching (which Espacenet and OPS are not) and then feed that list into OPS to get image full text or biblio etc.

Regards,
Vesna for OPS