Searching for applicants

Paul-IP

Searching for applicants

Post by Paul-IP » Mon May 17, 2021 8:45 pm

Hello,

I try to find applicants in the Espacenet database. For some (mostly patent attorneys) there should be quite a number of hits- but I get only a few, definitely much less than the estimated number of filed patens. What's wrong?

What is the best way to find applicants?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Paul

Patent Information Marketing

Re: Searching for applicants

Post by Patent Information Marketing » Thu May 20, 2021 10:30 am

Dear Paul,

When queried in the Smart search form (single line search form), Espacenet searches per default the term(s) in the title, abstract, description, claims, inventors and applicants fields.

It is, however, possible to search specifically for applicants, i.e. companies which have applied for a patent:
  • If you want to use the Smart search, you can use the field identifier "pa" => pa="<Name of the applicant>", e.g. pa="siemens" or pa="universal robots".
    Applicant1-1.jpg

• If you prefer to use the Advanced search, you can select the "Applicant" search field and operator "=" and then write the applicant name, e.g. universal robots, in the field below.
    Applicant-2a.jpg
    Applicant-2b.jpg
    Applicant-2c.jpg
If you are not totally sure about the name spelling, you can use wildcards to truncate the name, e.g. pa="siemen*". You can also use the operator "all" instead of "=", when using a company name with two or more words, e.g. pa all "universal robots". It will then have the same effect as the query pa=universal AND pa=robots.
Applicant-2d.jpg

It is, however, not possible to search for patent attorneys/representatives in Espacenet, but you can do it in the European Patent Register for EP patent documents.

Kind regards,

Andrée
Patent Information Marketing