Seeking help on using PATSTAT global 2019

Here you can post your opinions, ask questions and share experiences on the PATSTAT product line. Please always indicate the PATSTAT edition (e.g. 2015 Autumn Edition) and the database (e.g. PATSTAT Online, MySQL, MS SQL Server, ...) you are using.

asrafuzz

Seeking help on using PATSTAT global 2019

Post by asrafuzz » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:08 am

Hi Users

I am an early year PhD student and part of my thesis will use the PATSTAT dataset. I have bought and downloaded the 2019 Global Autumn dataset. As a beginner in MS SQL, I have installed MS SQL server management studio. But, I am having a hard time importing all the data files in the studio. I have tried to use "create database script" without any avail. I have searched all over the internet but did not find any hands-on document or video to use PATSTAT global.

I know I am a noob. I would highly appreciate if you guys can point or direct me any resources that I can use.

Thanks
Asraf

EPO / PATSTAT Support

Re: Seeking help on using PATSTAT global 2019

Post by EPO / PATSTAT Support » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:58 am

Hello Asraf,
The scripts provided in the documentation for creating the data base and the tables are only provided as an example on how it can be done.

Code: Select all

CREATE DATABASE [patstat2019b] ON  PRIMARY 
( NAME = N'patstat2019b_dat', FILENAME = N'D:\mssql_dbs\patstat2019b\patstat2019bdat.mdf' , SIZE = 200000MB , MAXSIZE = UNLIMITED , FILEGROWTH = 51200KB )
 LOG ON 
( NAME = N'patstat2019b_log', FILENAME = N'D:\mssql_dbs\patstat2019b\patstat2019blog.ldf' , SIZE = 1000MB , MAXSIZE = UNLIMITED , FILEGROWTH = 15360KB )
 COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
GO
You have to adapt the scipts to your specific environment and data base settings, or create your own set.
Just a small example: the first lines of the script create space and files on the D: drive in the folder mssql_dbs\patstat2019b. If the D: drive or the folder \mssql_dbs\patstat2019b\ does not exist, the script will fail.
At the EPO for example, we use IP addresses to refer to the place where the database should be created, it would be something like:

CREATE DATABASE [test] ON PRIMARY
( NAME = N'test_dat', FILENAME = N'\\175.21.1.151\WorkData\patstat2019bdat.mdf' , SIZE = 20MB , MAXSIZE = UNLIMITED , FILEGROWTH = 51200KB )....

So it is nearly 100% sure that you have adapt the scripts to your server and that is something the EPO can not support users with because every server installation (or server platform) has it own environment dependant settings. The most pragmatic solution is to find somebody (at the university ?) who can help you to adapt the scripts.
PATSTAT Support Team
EPO - Vienna
patstat @ epo.org