Support for ISO Standard 26300 in Epoline Filing Software

twesthues

Post by twesthues » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:12 pm

Hi Alex,

here is another reply from our expert:
The EPO is currently analyzing the use of ODF documents, for filing as well as for many other applications office-wide. It is difficult to give an estimation of when this format could be accepted, but it is not expected any time soon, as the impact on the EPO systems could be substantial.
All the best,
Thorsten
at your service for the EPO Online Services Team!

alexthurgood

Post by alexthurgood » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:43 pm

twesthues wrote:Hi Alex,

here is another reply from our expert:
The EPO is currently analyzing the use of ODF documents, for filing as well as for many other applications office-wide. It is difficult to give an estimation of when this format could be accepted, but it is not expected any time soon, as the impact on the EPO systems could be substantial.
All the best,
Thorsten
Hi Thorsten,

Sorry, been away for a while, so didn't see your reply ;-)
Well I assume that the EPO has finally done away with IBM OfficeVision for the AS/400, and that there are no longer any SMART documents in existence (my first word processor at the EPO), and that WordPerfect 5.1 running under a OS/2 Win3.1 emulation has now been phased out ;-), in which case I guess you guys must all be using various flavours of MSOffice as office productivity software. FYI, a plugin is being developed by a company external to Microsoft Corp that will allow MSOffice users to read ODF documents. I have no idea whether that plugin is operational yet.

You might also be interested to hear that the ODF has apparently been adopted as the official normalised document exchange format by the EU, Belgium, France and Denmark, so it might be a good idea for the EPO IT powers that be to urge adoption of this format along rather more expediently than perhaps they are inclined to do at the present time, before they get left behind / inundated with requests for support from member states, etc. Just a suggestion, of course ;-)

TTFN,

Alex

alexthurgood

Post by alexthurgood » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:19 pm

Hi all,

An update on the ODF plugin : there are now at least 2 different suppliers of a plugin that allows users to read/write in and from the ODF format from within Microsoft Office. One of these plugins is supplied by Sun Microsystems Inc.

How have things progressed with evaluation of ISO26300 within the EPO ?

Alex Thurgood

PS : I forgot to mention that several European union states have mandated ODF ISO26300 as the format to be used for document exchange within government administrations and between them and the public.

PPS : the plugins are free

alexthurgood

Re: Support for ISO Standard 26300 in Epoline Filing Software

Post by alexthurgood » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:20 pm

Hi to the list managers,

Any news on the ISO 26300 front ? Or has the EPO gone with Office Open XML, the err, as yet still fully unpublished specification "accepted" as an ISO standard in circumstances in which the ISO normative body became the laughing stock worldwide ;-))

BTW what has a Javascript comment got to with my question on ISO 26300, or is this another weak script kiddy prank ?

Alex Thurgood
European Patent Attorney