technical definitions?

Here you can find announcements regarding the EPO's patent information products and services, events and activities.

Please also feel free to ask questions and share information on general patent information matters.

LennoxConner

technical definitions?

Post by LennoxConner » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:09 pm

Please provide steps to finding where specific technical definitions are databased.
I would like to define "caul" or "caul plate" and distinguish this from a "mould" or "mould face".
All help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

EPO / Innovation Networks

Re: technical definitions?

Post by EPO / Innovation Networks » Wed May 13, 2020 10:58 am

Dear LennoxConner,

Actually the EPO does not build databases with technical dictionaries. However, patent documents are classified by technical domains in two main hierarchical classification systems, the international patent classification (IPC) and the cooperative patent classification (CPC) systems. These classification systems help many patent searchers to specify their patent searches.

Maybe these classification systems could help you to find classifications with definitions that would distinguish the two concepts mentioned (“caul plate” and “mould face”). If you need further information about patent classification systems, please check :arrow: WIPO International Classifications,
Cooperative Patent Classification;

To search for relevant classification symbols and corresponding definitions, you can use the classification search form of Espacenet and enter, on one side, e.g. the keywords “caul plate”, and, on the other side, e.g. the keywords “mould face”. CPC being an extension of IPC, i.e. with additional definitions, searching for CPC will also search for IPC.

The system works in the following way: It analyses all patent documents available in the EPO worldwide patent bibliographic database which contain the searched keywords in their title or abstract. It then retrieves and displays a list of the mostly used classification symbols in these documents. Once you have the displayed list of classification symbols, you will then need to look at the different corresponding definitions and decide which classification symbol(s)/definition(s) could be relevant for you. Please note that, if you click on a classification symbol in the list, Espacenet will display classification symbols with more precise and narrow definitions (“hierarchical classification system”).
Kind regards,

The Innovation Networks Team

redliontwo

Post by redliontwo » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:06 pm

i was looking for the same

dote81s

Post by dote81s » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:31 pm

EPO / Patent Information wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 10:58 am
Dear LennoxConner,

Actually the EPO does not build databases with technical dictionaries. However, patent documents are classified by technical domains in two main hierarchical classification systems, the international patent classification (IPC) and the cooperative patent classification (CPC) systems. These classification systems help many patent searchers to specify their patent searches.

Maybe these classification systems could help you to find classifications with definitions that would distinguish the wo concepts mentioned (“caul plate” and “mould face”). If you need further information about patent classification systems, please check :arrow: WIPO International Classifications,
Cooperative Patent Classification;

To search for relevant classification symbols and corresponding definitions, you can use the classification search form of Espacenet and enter, on one side, e.g. the keywords “caul plate”, and, on the other side, e.g. the keywords “mould face”. CPC being an extension of IPC, i.e. with additional definitions, searching for CPC will also search for IPC.

The system works in the following way: It analyses all patent documents available in the EPO worldwide patent bibliographic database which contain the searched keywords in their title or abstract. It then retrieves and displays a list of the mostly used classification symbols in these documents. Once you have the displayed list of classification symbols, you will then need to look at the different corresponding definitions and decide which classification symbol(s)/definition(s) could be relevant for you. Please note that, if you click on a classification symbol in the list, Espacenet will display classification symbols with more precise and narrow definitions (“hierarchical classification system”).
Thanks for the solution.

Jokovich

Post by Jokovich » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:48 pm

Hello,
I had the same problem. Thanks for the valuable advice!

brettgardner

Post by brettgardner » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:04 pm

I also faced the same issue in the past. But I fixed this issue with this solution. Thanks for sharing this.

galinapartridge2

Post by galinapartridge2 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:40 pm

This specific technical definition are always bothering the new users like and I'm so glad that someone from the forum explained it really well.

jhonny022117

Post by jhonny022117 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:33 am

Hello! I am looking for the same problem. I hope to see more of your answers. Thank you!

diplo2021

Post by diplo2021 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:50 pm

Well, I just youtube everything if I had a technical problem. However, its good though that you have this blog.

woefulscan

Post by woefulscan » Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:35 am

Maybe a query such as caul prox/distance<2 plate* not mould* might help only up...