Throttling, Robots etc

This space is made available to users of Open Patent Services (OPS) web-service and now also to users of EPO’s bulk data subscription products such as 14. EPO worldwide bibliographic database (DOCDB), 14.11 EPO worldwide legal status database (INPADOC), 14.12 EP full text data, 14.1 EP bibliographic data (EBD)and more.

Users can ask each other questions, exchange experiences and solutions, post ideas. The moderator will use this space to announce changes or other relevant information.

alanambrose

Throttling, Robots etc

Post by alanambrose » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:37 pm

Hi,

I've noticed this following odd epo behaviour which I don't understand. Perhaps you can throw some light:

+ when we used anonymous access we used to get back quota-per-minute and quota-per-day responses. Now we're logging in programmatically, these always come back as zero. That's a pity as we we're using those responses to throttle our app.

+ so, missing the quota responses, our code uses the traffic light responses as throttling too. However, the sequence often goes green, green, green, ..... etc etc green and then suddenly '403 forbidden robot'.

Now we would like to be good citizens and observe the policies but to do that, we're having to watch the dynamic behaviour of the actual system and try and figure out an algorithm that keeps it happy. I can't help but feel that if the EPO posted a throttling algorithm (say in english or pseudo-code) that it would like its clients to observe then we would be very happy to code that up. It might save everyone a bit of work in the long term.

Kind Regards, Alan

EPO / OPS Support

Re: Throttling, Robots etc

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:15 pm

Dear user,

I would suggest that you register to OPS because access you are using now is only meant for anything else but for testing and for manual users. You have much stricter limitaions and even more limited download quote.

I will check your findings with our IT and will get back to you on that.

Kind regards,

OPS support