Unexpected kind code behavior for bibliographic query results of epodoc AT14924U1

This space is made available to users of Open Patent Services (OPS) web-service and now also to users of EPO’s bulk data subscription products such as 14. EPO worldwide bibliographic database (DOCDB), 14.11 EPO worldwide legal status database (INPADOC), 14.12 EP full text data, 14.1 EP bibliographic data (EBD)and more.

Users can ask each other questions, exchange experiences and solutions, post ideas. The moderator will use this space to announce changes or other relevant information.

kazennikov

Unexpected kind code behavior for bibliographic query results of epodoc AT14924U1

Post by kazennikov » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:07 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to retrieve bibliographical information for epodoc=AT14924U1.
When I query for 'AT14924U1' the API returns 'No results found'.
The same for query 'AT14924' - 'No results found'.

But the document is finally retrieved when I query for 'AT14924U'.

The problem is with kind codes, right?
Where I can read more about correct processing of kind code?

EPO / OPS Support

Re: Unexpected kind code behavior for bibliographic query results of epodoc AT14924U1

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:09 am

Hi,

I am copying here an FAQ OPS answer about EPODOC numbers:

"...while OPS requires you to (a) specify the format you are using (DOCDB or EPODOC) and (b) use the format as specified. Typically, issues will appear when working with publications where the EPODOC format requires that kind codes (or parts thereof) be attached to the publication number.

For some publication authorities, the EPODOC format requires that (only a part - a letter) the kind code be attached to the number as follows:

[*] for Japanese publications (JP) an entire kind code (a letter and possibly a digit) must be attached to the number, except when the kind code is A;
[*]for publications with a country code on the following list: AT, AU, BA, BG, CN, DK, FI, IS, KR, NL, NO, PL, SK, UY, TW, YU, a kind code letter must be attached to the number, except when the kind code is A (does not need to be added at all, when A);
[*] for publications from all other authorities, a kind code letter must be attached to the number, except when the kind code is either A, B or C."

So, in your specific case, URL has to look like this:
.../published-data/publication/epodoc/AT14924U/biblio

Please note that as oppose to DOCDB, EPODOC is not a number format, its only a normalisation of numbers used mostly for Espacenet.

DOCDB is a proper number format and we have several concordance tables explaining it: https://www.epo.org/searching-for-paten ... gular.html

If you look at any random biblio query in OPS, you will see both formats there:
Capture_CC.JPG
I hope this helps,
Vesna for OPS support