uninstall GEM libraries

JEAN

uninstall GEM libraries

Post by JEAN » Wed May 27, 2009 2:31 pm

Hi,
I got a PC with an old EPO install.
As I wanted to install a recent one, I was required to uninstall GemSafe libraries 4.2.0 SP3. But I failed to do that.

First, I tryed to unsinstall with add/remove program. Then, the result was a crash. The screen of the machine became black !

Second, I have deleted manually some directories where these libraries were involved. The line in the add/remove program is still present.

Third, I tried to install the new version of EPO line. The install program refuses to install a new version of gem because an old one exists.

The OS of my machine is XP SP2 family.

In advance thanks for people who will provide me with assistance.

twesthues

Re: uninstall GEM libraries

Post by twesthues » Wed May 27, 2009 3:12 pm

Hi Jean,

this sounds serious....

Unfortunately, GemSAFE libraries are an essential part for handling the smartcard certificates and are therefore deeply integrated into your operating system - hence, simply removing folders will not help and make the problem worth as there are files also in the windows system directories and in the registry.

Here is what I would try now:
Retrieve the original installation CD with GemSAFE libraries 4.2.0 SP3 again and either re-install this version or better use the installation routine to de-install GemSAFE - this should work. Please re-boot your PC whenever you have installed or de-installed GemSAFE in order to allow the operating system to fully recover from the change as some changes even de-installations are only fully performed with the reboot.

Only then you can continue to install the more recent version.¨

I hope this helps,
Thorsten
at your service for the EPO Online Services Team!

JEAN

Post by JEAN » Wed May 27, 2009 3:56 pm

HI twesthues
Thank you for your fast answer.
I have a main issue to apply your solution. I don't find the EPO disk where Gem 4.2.0 SP3 is present.

Bad luck !

Madu

Post by Madu » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:34 pm

JEAN wrote:HI twesthues
Thank you for your fast answer.
I have a main issue to apply your solution. I don't find the EPO disk where Gem 4.2.0 SP3 is present.

Bad luck !

GemSAFE 4.20 SP3 was supplied by the French patent Office INPI, and they can help you with that version

Please contact the EPO user Support, and they'll send you a special link to download the SP4 from . The version we supply
is now 4.20 SP4

JEAN

Post by JEAN » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:58 pm

I have got the Gem version SP3. I have resinstalled it, so it has been easy to delete it.
The installing of SP4 has been performed without any issues.

Thanks to all for your cooperation.