US Claims

This space is made available to users of Open Patent Services (OPS) web-service and now also to users of EPO’s bulk data subscription products such as 14. EPO worldwide bibliographic database (DOCDB), 14.11 EPO worldwide legal status database (INPADOC), 14.12 EP full text data, 14.1 EP bibliographic data (EBD)and more.

Users can ask each other questions, exchange experiences and solutions, post ideas. The moderator will use this space to announce changes or other relevant information.

michael.anger

US Claims

Post by michael.anger » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:12 am

Hi,

Based on the documentation referenced below it is my understanding that OPS does not provide claims for US publications.
What is the coverage for full-text descriptions and claims in OPS?
OPS currently supplies descriptions and claims for documents published by the following authorities: EP, WO, AT, BE, CA, CH, CY, ES, FR, GB, HR, IE, LU, MC, MD, NO, PL, PT and RO
Accordingly, I get a "CLIENT.InvalidCountryCode" error response when trying to request claims for a US record, e.g. US 2008282899 A1.

In Espacenet, however, I see that claims for this publication are available.
https://worldwide.espacenet.com/patent/ ... 80282899A1

Aren't they both using the same data source? Can you clarify the difference or am I doing something wrong in the OPS request?

And do you have claim coverage for additional countries on the roadmap?

Thanks in advance!

EPO / OPS Support

Re: US Claims

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:09 am

Hi,

We only offer download of any full text collections where we have approval of respective offices to offer data for automated queries/bulk/ download, so to distribute their full text. So, 19 Collections in total. When you take this data you are covered by OPS terms of use and you can use such data in your databases.

But data in Espacenet is not meant for automated access, only for manual searches of users using Espacenet. And US data is one of many sets that we are not allowed to distribute, we can only offer it via Espacenet for manual searches.

Regards,
Vesna for OPS

michael.anger

Post by michael.anger » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:23 pm

Thanks for the (legal) clarification!

Are there concrete plans to expand? Or in other words, do you foresee receiving permission from other countries such as US?

Thank you!

EPO / OPS Support

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:23 am

Hi,

No, not for US. They do offer their own XML, as far as I know. We have plans to offer some new collections this year, but it will not be US, I am afraid. We still hope we will be able to integrate US character-coded full text sometime in the future.

Regards,
Vesna for OPS