Use of headers for search range not giving consistent result

This space is made available to users of Open Patent Services (OPS) web-service and now also to users of EPO’s bulk data subscription products such as 14. EPO worldwide bibliographic database (DOCDB), 14.11 EPO worldwide legal status database (INPADOC), 14.12 EP full text data, 14.1 EP bibliographic data (EBD)and more.

Users can ask each other questions, exchange experiences and solutions, post ideas. The moderator will use this space to announce changes or other relevant information.

bruceap

Use of headers for search range not giving consistent result

Post by bruceap » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:35 am

I initially used "&Range=" at the end the search URL to be able to go through search results 100 at a time (&Range=1-100; &Range=101-200; etc.). But since your documentation says that such usage is useful only for testing, I tried setting the header X-OPS-Range in my search requests instead. While it seemed to work initially, I have recently seen inconsistent results. What I mean is that OPS is not always returning results based upon the X-OPS-Range that I have specified in the headers. I confirmed with a 3rd party site that the application that I am developing is accurately sending the correct header, so it is OPS that is ignoring my range setting. I have gone back to using the &Range method. So two questions:

1) is there a known problem with setting the range using HTTP headers?

2) why is the &Range method only considered useful for testing? Can I use that method going forward if the headers method continues to be a problem?

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Bruce Pokras
Blazing Dawn Software
www.blazingdawn.com

EPO / OPS Support

Re: Use of headers for search range not giving consistent re

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:33 pm

Dear Bruce,

Answer to question 1)
We think you are in a network infrastructure preventing either custom http headers or caching response. You can verify it by comparing header value with response range. (see attached picture).

Answer to question 2)
In some browsers GET requests have limitations on the url length and because the search string might be significantly long we don't add the unnecessary parameters.

Kind regards,
OPS Support