Utility Model Priority Application

Here you can post your opinions, ask questions and share experiences on the PATSTAT product line. Please always indicate the PATSTAT edition (e.g. 2015 Autumn Edition) and the database (e.g. PATSTAT Online, MySQL, MS SQL Server, ...) you are using.

lionpat

Utility Model Priority Application

Post by lionpat » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:14 pm

I need some help finding information on utility models in PatStat. Specifically, I am trying to identify utility model applications that have a U.S. patent application as a priority filing. Additionally, I would also like to find utility model applications that serve as the priority filing for a U.S. application. I realize this will be a small number of utility model filings because that specific protection does not exist in the U.S.

So far, I have figured out how to find the priority application ID by linking tls204 with tls201. But I cannot figure out how to get from the prior_appln_id to the actual priority application number or the priority application country code. Any advice? Below is my search to date (this one, restricted to German utility models):

SELECT p.person_name, han_name, prior_appln_id
from tls201_appln a
JOIN tls207_pers_appln pa on a.appln_id = pa.appln_id
JOIN tls206_person p on pa.person_id = p.person_id
Join tls204_appln_prior pr on a.appln_id = pr.appln_id
where a.appln_auth = 'de'
and a.ipr_type = 'um'

EPO / PATSTAT Support

Re: Utility Model Priority Application

Post by EPO / PATSTAT Support » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:03 am

Hello Lionpat,
here is a query that links utility models filed in DE with their US priority filings.
To look for DE utility models that served as priority for later US applications, simply switch the joins on the tls204 table.

Code: Select all

SELECT p.person_name, psn_name,pa.applt_seq_nr  ,a.appln_nr_epodoc, a.ipr_type,a.appln_filing_year,prior_appln_id, priority.appln_nr_epodoc, priority.ipr_type,priority.appln_filing_year
 from tls201_appln a
 JOIN tls207_pers_appln pa on a.appln_id = pa.appln_id
 JOIN tls206_person p on pa.person_id = p.person_id
 Join tls204_appln_prior pr on a.appln_id = pr.appln_id
 join tls201_appln priority on pr.prior_appln_id =priority.appln_id
 where a.appln_auth = 'de'
 and a.ipr_type = 'um'
 and priority.appln_auth = 'US'
 and a.appln_filing_year = 2016
 and pa.applt_seq_nr > 0
 and prior_appln_id < 900000000
 order by a.appln_id, pa.applt_seq_nr
PATSTAT Support Team
EPO - Vienna
patstat @ epo.org

lionpat

Re: Utility Model Priority Application

Post by lionpat » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:50 am

Thank you so much! This is exactly the search that I needed. And with this assistance, I can figure out how to extend it for additional pieces of information quite easily. I very much appreciate the support!