V5 experience anyone?

Ckral

V5 experience anyone?

Post by Ckral » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:44 pm

Hi everyone,

my annually question:

any experience with the upgrade from v4 to v5? Any known issues so far?

If not I'm going to be brave and upgrade this weekend.
Christoph Kral

IT-Department VJP Munich
Email: ckral@vjp.de

Kelly Hill

Re: V5 experience anyone?

Post by Kelly Hill » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:32 am

Hi

How did the installation go? did you encounter any problems?

regards

Kelly
Kelly Hill

Ckral

Post by Ckral » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:48 am

Good Morning everyone,

so I did the upgrade which for the first time since the earliest version was completely flawless for the server part. Just bring enough time if your database is quite large. The "UPDATING FROM URPROFILE" ran around an hour for a 8GB net database on a decent server. The whole procedure took around 80minutes to complete (machine is a W2k03r2 x32, dual Xeon,4gb, SAS HP server)

I also updated around 30 clients and ran into a few "glitches", non of them real plotstoppers:

- on some machines the "olf500client.exe" took an eternity to launch so i thought the installer crashed (like 20 mins or the like). Prolly installation related.
- on some machines there was a i5olfsetup.exe crash but the procedure continued and I could finish the installation without problems
- on 3 machines the acrobat reader EULA window showed for a confirmation after launching olf500client.exe. This was cosmetical, but irritating.
- the installer does not read your old .ini settings and starts with "localhost" instead of your server address in network environments
- since the installation goes into a new directory "C:\program files\EPO_OLF5-TC" as default, the Vista/7 issue where the EPO client can not write the .ini-file in said directory occurs again. In environments where the user does not have local admin rights you have to launch a

icacls "C:\Program files\EPO_OLF5-TC\OLFClient.ini" /Grant everyone:(F)

after installation again. I am currently trying to get around this with a challenge (.mst) file for the .msi-installer. If I succeed I will try distributing via GPO next.

All in all no real problems so far and we had no reports from our clerks that something is amiss or nonworking this morning and we already filed some applications I was told.
Christoph Kral

IT-Department VJP Munich
Email: ckral@vjp.de

Omega

Post by Omega » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:00 pm

We had no problems installing a new server besides the V4-Server. But deploying the new Client automatically is really a mess. While we might get around this by using a mst i really wonder why noone even thinks about this during development.

Without a transform you need to specify Ports on the command line to stop him from starting olfclient -settings.
Even then you must copy the configuration file to stop users from trying to log in as administrator.

But in every case you will be asked if eolf4 should be deleted.

A silent installation would be really helpful.

With an mst, you need to disable at least 2 custom actions from the executesequence.

Omega

leemorris666

Post by leemorris666 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:12 pm

Hi guys!

Just a thought. How many people help you roll out these new versions - Only, I work alone and need to install this new thin client (v5) on pretty much 130 workstations before the end of March 2010!! I also need to provide support for nearly 200 staff. Why can't the developers provide us with easy quick upgrades that work automated. My experience when upgrading from V3 to V4 I had to manually remove EOLF V3, Gemsafe 3.2.5 etc before installing V4 and Gemsafe 4.2 SP4.. Will I have this same problem upgrading from V4 to V5??

On another note, do any of you have Adobe Acrobat 7 Standard installed on a machine? If so, I'd love to know how you get the EOLF PDF Viewer to work with any Adobe Reader which is already installed, but somehow EOLF is unable to locate it, even if you do change the Registry key locations manually. Can they not develope a registry fix for all versions of Acrobat?

Any help would be much appreciated

Regards

Lee

John M

Post by John M » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:53 pm

We have just installed version 5 and all of our templates appear to be missing.

Is it possible (and safe) to copy the templates over from the previous version and if so how? I note that on the C Drive there are two folders corresponding to the two versions and it may be possible to cut and paste certain folders from the old to the new:

C:\Program Files\EPO_OLF
C:\Program Files\EPO_OLF5

John M

Post by John M » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:56 pm

Its OK we the templates are in fact there in the actual (non-demo) version.

twesthues

Post by twesthues » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:30 pm

Hi John,

I was going to write all the lines below but I'm releaved that the templates did not get lost (or were there any templates in demo?). Anyway, allow me the question: how many templates do you use in your installation?

Here my originally writing which is now redundant:
"such a problem was not spotten when the v4-v5 migration was tested on our end - strange. Anything special on your system?
What are we talking about: stand-alone or server installation? How many templates are you using?

I'm afraid, it is not possible to merely copy things from v4 to v5 as all the information is in the database file eolfi.gdb and only an export from v4 and re-import into v5 would now be an options.

But let's investigate first: Are you using user management in your OLF system? Can you ensure that whatever login you're using has the necessary rights to see the folder of the templates.

If that is the case, the first question is, whether you happen to have any exported files available of the templates or any other submissions which could be used to create new templates if we're only talking about an overseeable number of templates. In case, you've got no exports and the number of templates is high, you can consider to install v4 on a separate system and copy the eolfi.gdb file into that installation to then use e.g. the server manager to export the templates and subsequently import these again into v5.

As you can see, it is never straight forward and always a question of effort versus gain. If you require further assistance, try our customer service via email or telephone to get help in such matters."

Thorsten
at your service for the EPO Online Services Team!

John M

Post by John M » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:50 pm

I have asked our formalities lady.

In the previous version, we had 0 templates in the demo part and 8 in the non-demo part.

After the upgrade we had exactly the same. So the non-demo templates succesfully moved over to the new version 5. We could not find any demo templates in version 5 because there weren't any in the old version, which is of course correct.

Tomorrow we will file 2 PCT patent applications via UKIPO using v5.

Thank you for your help.

iggy

Post by iggy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:23 am

Good morning all

We have also upgraded and have also undergone the trials of uninstalling version 4 and installing version 5 on all our local machines. Agree with what has been said so far.

Has anyone encountered the issues below?

1) Exported data packets not having a copy of the receipt in pdf format? We have had to use an ardous work around the problem, which is to view each submission in eOLF, locate the receipt in pdf, save this as a pdf on the desktop and re-import it to the exported zip file.

2) Address book. It would seem that version 5 does not allow for a sucessfull import of the data in the address book from version 4. Seems like a CSV mapping issue, which is leaving a trail of incopmplete address records as it wipes out the city and postcodes and recreates a seperate record specifically for the city and postcode. We are now having to manually go through each name and address record to verify its accuracy.

Thanks

Iggy