V5 experience anyone?

John M

Re: V5 experience anyone?

Post by John M » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:48 am

Our two PCT filings worked fine. The address book was OK and the .PDF filing receipts were received as usual.

Jemimus

Post by Jemimus » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:08 pm

I tried updating our installation in test on tueday, and the update failed with the following error:

"The export of the user data from the production database failed. The Installation is aborted."

I am gonna try again in a sec.
Robert Kloosterhuis
Systems Administrator - Nederlandsch Octrooibureau
http://www.octrooibureau.nl

John M

Post by John M » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:05 pm

We have just installed Adobe Reader 9 because we need the ability to print Japanese fonts. This is subsequent to (i.e. after) our recent upgrade to V5 of the patent filing software. Now, when we try to use V5, we get the error message "Adobe Reader not installed". I guess V5 is looking for the old version of Adobe reader which no longer exists on the PC because it has been replaced by the newer version Adobe Reader 9.

We will re-install V5 of the patent filing software again, on top of the newly installed Adobe Reader 9, and then see if a fresh installation of V5 picks up the current version (9) Adobe reader.

Jemimus

Post by Jemimus » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:06 pm

John M wrote:We have just installed Adobe Reader 9 because we need the ability to print Japanese fonts. This is subsequent to (i.e. after) our recent upgrade to V5 of the patent filing software. Now, when we try to use V5, we get the error message "Adobe Reader not installed". I guess V5 is looking for the old version of Adobe reader which no longer exists on the PC because it has been replaced by the newer version Adobe Reader 9.

We will re-install V5 of the patent filing software again, on top of the newly installed Adobe Reader 9, and then see if a fresh installation of V5 picks up the current version (9) Adobe reader.
John, looks like this was covered in the following topic:
http://forums.epo.org/pdf-issues/topic780.html
Robert Kloosterhuis

twesthues

Post by twesthues » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:55 pm

Dear all,

our recent understanding is that the registry key manipulations are not a general remedy to the issue related to Adobe Reader versions - and we stopped giving that advice.

We do have several, sometimes even contradictory reports of what worked for the individual case and what not. We're still in a process of identifying whether there is a general solution. One of the problems is that Adobe Reader changes independently of the OLF system of course.

On my system for instance, I have both Adobe Akrobat Professional 7.0.7 and Adobe Reader 9.3.0 with OLFv5 running smoothly.

Thorsten
at your service for the EPO Online Services Team!

Jemimus

Post by Jemimus » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:31 pm

I have now completed a test update of a clone of our production server and database.
here are my intial opservations.

- The error I was getting earlier, was the setup running out of disk space.
Our production database is 8gb. Our application volume on the server was 20gb. During the first steps of teh setup, it makes a copy of the database. This instantly took up another 8gb.
Whatever space was left, was quickly eaten up during the database conversion.

I doubled and expanded the volume to 40gb and tried again. The install ran through this time, but evne with 40gb, I saw the free space get down to about 8.5gb. After the upgrade completed and reboot, we have 23gb free again. Where is all that data coming from?

It turns out the setup leaves behind a copy of the database under D:\Program Files\EPO_OLF5\Unload\<date and timestamp>\
I assume its safe to delete this?

- Our server has 1gb of RAM allocated to it. This is enough for our production work, occasionally there is a large filing that may require a temporary expansion. Anyhow, during the upgrade I saw it run out of memory, so I have it 4gb to work with. During upgrade it didnt exceed 1.5gb, so 2gb should be enough.

- The upgrade took 4-5 hours to complete. This seems rather long.

when we go live, we will probably decide to export the entire 2009 set of filings to an archive and begin with a far smaller database, so that should speed things along when we do it live.
Robert Kloosterhuis

Jemimus

Post by Jemimus » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:11 pm

The client installation runs well unattanded ( OLF500client.exe /qn ) only if there is no previous installation present!
If it finds the installation folder of the previous version of the Thin client, it will always display a question wether you want to remove this folder.

I also saw in a different thread, that it also still not possible to pass the connection settings to the install through an MSI parameter option.

These 2 things are unfortunate. We should be able to assume that /qn will always result in total unnatended install with default parameters, and that a full set of values should be passible to the installation. This is basic sysadmin nessecity.

At least it doesnt prompt you for the connection information anymore, so that is good. We copy over our own OLFClient.ini afterwards as we did with v4.

Next step for me: Virtualise the client with Microsoft APP-V (Softricity)
Robert Kloosterhuis

twesthues

Post by twesthues » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:24 pm

Dear Jeminus,

it is actually possible to pass the connection details - see example below.

Here's what another user did for the thin client installation:

1. Deinstallation of Epoline 4 Clients msiexec /x OLF400Client.msi /quiet
2. Deletion of old directory path rd C:\Programme\EPO_OLF-TC /S /Q
3. Removal of old desktop short-cut in ALLUser del C:\"Dokumente und Einstellungen\All Users\Desktop\Online Filing Client.lnk"
4. Installation of new 5er clients msiexec /i OLF500Client.msi /quiet /quiet ALLUSERS=1 CORBA=1 port=xxx host=xxx
5. Creation of new short-cut on desktop in ALLUser copy "C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\All Users\Startm~1\Prgamme\EPO Online Filing\Online Filing Client.lnk" C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\All Users\Desktop\*.* "

All this put into one batch file does the trick.

thorsten
at your service for the EPO Online Services Team!

Jemimus

Post by Jemimus » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:35 am

Thank you Thorsten! We incorperated the above in a batch file which we executed remotely, and this worked well.

We ended up exporting all the content of the old database, uninstalling OLFv4 and installed OLFv5 from scratch with a new database.
This all seemed to go extremely well, including an import of the adress list.

However, once we tried submitting PCT files, we keep getitng an error about the XML file not being valid.
This is currently under investigation with Epoline 2nd line support, as far as I have been told bij our application administrator.

However, this is such a serious problem, I am having to make available the backup clone of our v4 server alongside the new one, so they can submit PCT filings.
Robert Kloosterhuis