Very low amount of search results in OPS

This space is made available to users of Open Patent Services (OPS) web-service and now also to users of EPO’s bulk data subscription products such as 14. EPO worldwide bibliographic database (DOCDB), 14.11 EPO worldwide legal status database (INPADOC), 14.12 EP full text data, 14.1 EP bibliographic data (EBD)and more.

Users can ask each other questions, exchange experiences and solutions, post ideas. The moderator will use this space to announce changes or other relevant information.

ExoMatter

Very low amount of search results in OPS

Post by ExoMatter » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:48 pm

Hi,

I am implementing an automated search for patents using OPS for our materials research service ExoMatter.
For some reason, the amount of results I am getting via OPS is much lower than in a manual search trough espacenet.
For instace, I was searching for "SrFeO3".
In espacenet I find a few hundred results, via OPS only 18.

The request URL I am using is

Code: Select all

http://ops.epo.org/3.2/rest-services/published-data/search/biblio?cpci=condensed&q="SrFeO3"&Range=1-100
This may be a very basic question as I just got started using OPS today, but I would very much appreciate any help.
Thanks!

EPO / OPS Support

Re: Very low amount of search results in OPS

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:41 am

Hi,

OPS is an alternative search tool to Classic Espacenet and there the search would give you 18 families (today) too.

The reason is that behind our new Espacenet we have very powerful Elasticsearch that can search entire dataset (about 15 databases and few webservices) in a record time and is capable to find your result in any of character-coded data loaded in a background; from biblio, full text, citations up to even legal events and their descriptions. This is why it is important to use filed identifiers or Advance search fields in order to limit your search to as less noise you can for the purpose. The purpose of course is what you need it to be for your specific search, another thing what New Espacenet can already offer and OPS cannot.

OPS and Classic Espacenet are still running on old backend databases and with far less powerful search engine and the search in a smart search (or CQL) really only searches in biblio, abstract and title.

If you use filed identifiers for biblio, abstracts and title in New Espacent or you use advance search fields you will see that you would get small set of found families, same as in OPS.

New Espacenet is extremely powerful tool, capable of far more than we ever could do in the past, but like with every powerful tool, you have to keep it in check by giving the search exact "instructions" where you want your keywords to be found.

Also, please consider that there can be up to 12 hours lag between updates in New Espacenet and OPS for some data so any comparison of the two has to take into account different times of updates too.

We are hoping to have our webservice equivalent of the New Espacenet at some point as well.

Regards,
Vesna for OPS

ExoMatter

Post by ExoMatter » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:29 am

Thanks a lot for your reply, this was very helpful!

dominic3

Post by dominic3 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:41 pm

Hello,

I am currently facing a similar problem.

I am using the Published Data Keywords Search with Variable Constituents API endpoint and only got two results from my query 'txt=porenbeton pn=DE'. Both results did not have the keyword "porenbeton" in title or abstract, but actually in the applicants name.
If I use the exact same query in espacenet, I get 1482 results.

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!

EPO / OPS Support

Post by EPO / OPS Support » Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:11 pm

Hi

Your problem is a bit different.

The OPS, just like CQL search in Classic Espacenet, only supports search within biblio result when using TXT (not full text like New Espacenet) and only in English language:

Classic Espacenet:
https://worldwide.espacenet.com/searchR ... on+pn%3DDE

So, if you translate your keyword, you will get all DE publications that have that word somewhere in biblio (and abstract);
txt = "aerated concrete" and pn = DE

but you will never get same results as in New Espacenet due to the differences I pointed above already.
Capture_mm.PNG
Unfortunately, we do not have an API that would support searches like you can do in the New Espacenet.

Regards,
Vesna for OPS support