which asian patent office(s) accept(s) utility model entries?

This is your chance to raise your questions or discuss challenges, trends and hot topics around patent information from Asian countries.

blue & green

which asian patent office(s) accept(s) utility model entries?

Post by blue & green » Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:54 pm

Hi,
can someone help me please on the topic .
I heard or read that not all of offices were accepting entries for utility models , so I refer to the question appearing in the thread text.

relevant specific patent offices or countries: cnipa, india patent office , pakistan patent office, thailand, korea, arabpat (any of)

kind regards
blue

yuzhou587

Re: which asian patent office(s) accept(s) utility model entries?

Post by yuzhou587 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:59 am

Utility models are acceptable in China.
Please note, the utility model in China has no substantive examination and is easy to grant.

Kimbermoore2

Post by Kimbermoore2 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:28 pm

blue & green wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:54 pm
Hi,
I heard or read that not all of offices were accepting entries for utility models , so I refer to the question appearing in the thread text.

relevant specific patent offices or countries: cnipa, india patent office , pakistan patent office, thailand, korea, arabpat (any of)

kind regards
blue
Utility models are a type of intellectual property protection that offer a quicker and more cost-effective alternative to patents for protecting inventions. While utility models are recognized in many countries, not all countries have laws or regulations in place to provide for utility model protection.

In the countries you mentioned, here is a brief overview of the status of utility models:

CNIPA (China): Utility models are recognized and can be protected for up to 10 years. Applications are examined for novelty and practicality, but not for inventive step.

India Patent Office: India does not have a separate utility model system, but offers a similar form of protection called "utility certificates." These certificates protect only the shape and configuration of an article and do not protect any process or method.

Pakistan Patent Office: Pakistan offers utility model protection, which is granted for a period of 10 years. Utility models are examined for novelty and industrial applicability, but not for inventive step.

Thailand: Utility models are recognized and can be protected for up to 10 years. Applications are examined for novelty, inventive step, and industrial applicability.

Korea: Korea offers utility model protection, which is granted for a period of 10 years. Utility models are examined for novelty, inventive step, and industrial applicability.

Arabpat (GCC): Utility models are recognized and can be protected for up to 10 years. Applications are examined for novelty, inventive step, and industrial applicability.

It is important to note that the laws and regulations regarding utility models can vary significantly from country to country. Therefore, it is always best to consult with a qualified intellectual property attorney or agent in the relevant jurisdiction to determine the specific requirements and procedures for obtaining utility model protection.

rdyjiko

Post by rdyjiko » Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:03 am

blue & green wrote:
Hi,

kind regards
blue
I see your solution does not solve the problem.

LeviAckerman

Post by LeviAckerman » Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:05 am

blue & green wrote:
Hi,

kind regards
blue
Hi Blue,
One of the specific patent offices in Asia is the China National Intellectual Property Administration. It is responsible for the examination, granting, and management of patents in China. It receives and reviews patent applications, conducts substantive examinations, and issues patents for inventions, utility models, and designs.