Which is the form to change PCT application address? Rule 92 bis

Here you can find announcements regarding the EPO's patent information products and services, events and activities.

Please also feel free to ask questions and share information on general patent information matters.

vin.g

Which is the form to change PCT application address? Rule 92 bis

Post by vin.g » Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:52 pm

I filed a PCT application setting the email as preferred communication method, but EPO for PCT applications only sends important communication via ordinary mail.

In the meantime I realised that the postal service where I live is even less reliable than what I expected, therefore I decided to open a postal box.

I searched everywhere to find out whether it was possible to change the mailing address for an already filed PCT and I found some references to the rule 92 bis. But I found no information about which should be the form to submit the change.

Is it actually possible to change the mailing address via the filing office? Or, is it possible to do such change via the IB? In case, which form should I use?

EPO / Innovation Networks

Re: Which is the form to change PCT application address? Rule 92 bis

Post by EPO / Innovation Networks » Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:32 am

Dear vin.g,

Please see the PCT Applicants Guide (Chapter 11 'Miscellaneous Questions Concerning the International Phase' specifically point 11.018 onwards - 'Changes concerning the applicant, inventor, agent or common representative')

Changes relating to the applicant in international applications are concerned, requests of such changes should be sent in written form to the International Bureau (IB) directly within 30 months from the international filing date or date of priority in accordance with Rule 92bis PCT.
Where there is a change in the person, name, residence, nationality or address of the applicant, or in the person, name or address of the inventor, agent or common representative, the applicant or the receiving Office should ask the International Bureau to record the change. If so requested, the International Bureau records the change and notifies all Offices and PCT Authorities interested in the change accordingly. Any such recording is free of charge.

11.018A. Where should requests for change be sent? While Rule 92bis provides for the possibility, at the choice of the applicant, to send requests for change to the receiving Office or the International Bureau, it is strongly recommended to send them directly to the International Bureau, preferably via ePCT (signing in with strong authentication or without strong authentication at https://pct.wipo.int/ePCT). It is important that the International Bureau – and not the receiving Office – receives the request for change in order to meet the applicable time limit of 30 months from the priority date.

11.020. Is there a special form for requesting the recording of changes under Rule 92bis? There is no special form for requesting the recording of changes under Rule 92bis. The request may be presented in the form of a letter to the receiving Office or the International Bureau, clearly specifying the application concerned and which information is requested to be changed. Where the request concerns a change in a name or address and the application is filed in a language which uses non-Latin characters, in addition to the new name or address in the language of filing, a transliteration or translation of the new name or address into English must also be provided. It is strongly recommended to file such requests directly with the International Bureau through ePCT (signing in with strong authentication or without strong authentication at https://pct.wipo.int/ePCT).
See also: 5.027. How must addresses be indicated in the request? Addresses must be indicated in such a way as to satisfy the requirements for prompt postal delivery at the address indicated and must consist of all the relevant administrative units up to and including the house number (if any). The address must also include the country.

:idea: Please address further related questions directly to support@epo.org.

Best regards,
EPO Customer Services

European Patent Office
www.epo.org

Manuelschrader

Re: Which is the form to change PCT application address? Rule 92 bis

Post by Manuelschrader » Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:59 am

vin.g wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:52 pm
I filed a PCT application setting the email as preferred communication method, but EPO for PCT applications only sends important communication via ordinary mail.

In the meantime I realised that the postal service where I live is even less reliable than what I expected, therefore I decided to open a postal box.

I searched everywhere to find out whether it was possible to change the mailing address for an already filed PCT and I found some references to the rule 92 bis. But I found no information about which should be the form to submit the change.

Is it actually possible to change the mailing address via the filing office? Or, is it possible to do such change via the IB? In case, which form should I use?
Hello,
I am not a admin and I am very late to reply but I just want to say that Yes, it is possible to change the mailing address for an already filed PCT application under Rule 92bis of the PCT regulations. Rule 92bis allows for the correction of certain errors or omissions in the international application, including a change of address for correspondence.

To make the change of address, you will need to submit a request for the correction of the mailing address using Form PCT/RO/101. This form can be submitted to either the International Bureau (IB) or the receiving office (RO) of the PCT application, depending on which office is handling the application.

If the PCT application has not yet been published, the request for the correction of the mailing address can be made by the applicant directly to the receiving office. If the application has already been published, the request must be made to the IB through the applicant's receiving office or through the ePCT system.

It is important to note that any change of address will only take effect after it has been processed and confirmed by the IB or the receiving office, and that any communication sent to the previous address before the change will still be considered as having been validly sent.