Wind velocity dial

Here you can find announcements regarding the EPO's patent information products and services, events and activities.

Please also feel free to ask questions and share information on general patent information matters.

Scientific Inspirations

Wind velocity dial

Post by Scientific Inspirations » Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:46 pm

Hello,

I have an old wooden frame with a dial which states, 'J.J. Hicks, Maker, London. Patent applied for'.
It's a wind velocity dial which records wind speed. To the top of the case there are two brass electrodes which run down the inside of the case to two coils. The dial has a pointer and a hand and to the inside, just above the 2 coils, there is a brass cog and a lever.
The company of J.J. Hicks merged with Stanley in 1911 and Hicks died in 1916. The feeling is that this electrical wind velocity apparatus is circa 1880 - 1900.
I can't make anything of the patent search engine, if anyone could help that would be great. Thankyou.

Kimbermoore2

Re: Wind velocity dial

Post by Kimbermoore2 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:20 am

I think It sounds like you have an interesting and potentially valuable antique instrument! J.J. Hicks was a well-known maker of scientific instruments in the late 19th century, and his company was known for producing high-quality and innovative products.

Unfortunately, searching for information on a patent applied for in the late 19th century can be difficult, as many of the records from that time period may not be easily accessible online. You could try reaching out to historical or scientific organizations, such as the Science Museum in London, or the Smithsonian National Museum of American History, to see if they have any information or resources available to help with your search.
MyAccountAccess
You might also consider consulting with an appraiser or historian who specializes in scientific instruments to determine the value of your wind velocity dial, as well as to learn more about its history and significance. These professionals may be able to help you track down more information about the patent and the device.

Manuelschrader

Re: Wind velocity dial

Post by Manuelschrader » Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:18 am

Scientific Inspirations wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:46 pm
Hello,

I have an old wooden frame with a dial which states, 'J.J. Hicks, Maker, London. Patent applied for'.
It's a wind velocity dial which records wind speed. To the top of the case there are two brass electrodes which run down the inside of the case to two coils. The dial has a pointer and a hand and to the inside, just above the 2 coils, there is a brass cog and a lever.
The company of J.J. Hicks merged with Stanley in 1911 and Hicks died in 1916. The feeling is that this electrical wind velocity apparatus is circa 1880 - 1900.
I can't make anything of the patent search engine, if anyone could help that would be great. Thankyou.
I am just want to say that you have a vintage wind speed indicator made by J.J. Hicks, a maker based in London. Based on your description, it appears to be an electromechanical device that uses the brass electrodes and coils to measure wind speed and display the readings on the dial.

Unfortunately, without more specific information or a patent number, it may be difficult to locate the exact patent applied for by J.J. Hicks. However, you could try searching online patent databases such as the UK Intellectual Property Office or the World Intellectual Property Organization using keywords related to wind speed indicators or electromechanical instruments..OptOnline

Alternatively, you could try contacting a specialized antique dealer or a museum curator who may have expertise in vintage scientific instruments and could help identify and provide more information about your wind speed indicator.